[comp.sys.mac.comm] New teleport modem info needed

jyl5267@acf5.NYU.EDU (jong-yin li) (11/22/90)

Hi:

	I am planning to buy a modem for my new SE/30, and there seems to
be one new modem that has some advantage over regular external or internal
modems - Teleport 2400 MNP 5, by Global village.  Does anyone have experience
on this modem?  Performance? Compatibility with Comm s/w? Pros and cons in
comparison with regular external modems(since Teleport draws power from the
ADB port)?
	Thanks for any reply in advance.

jyl5267@acf5.nyu.edu

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (11/24/90)

In article <1353@acf5.NYU.EDU>, jyl5267@acf5.NYU.EDU (jong-yin li) writes:

> Hi:
>
> 	I am planning to buy a modem for my new SE/30, and there seems to
> be one new modem that has some advantage over regular external or internal
> modems - Teleport 2400 MNP 5, by Global village.  Does anyone have experience
> on this modem?  Performance? Compatibility with Comm s/w? Pros and cons in
> comparison with regular external modems(since Teleport draws power from the
> ADB port)?

I've got one.  And it works great.  I've had no real problems so far.
It works either through the Comm Toolbox or if your not running that,
it can "pretend" to be either of the serial ports.

With sound becoming so important I'm happy I still have one serial
port free for sound input (the other is used for LocalTalk).

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   {apple,decwrl}!claris!outpost!peirce
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--         and Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (11/29/90)

In article <1353@acf5.NYU.EDU> jyl5267@acf5.NYU.EDU (jong-yin li) writes:

>	I am planning to buy a modem for my new SE/30, and there seems to
>be one new modem that has some advantage over regular external or internal
>modems - Teleport 2400 MNP 5, by Global village.  Does anyone have experience
>on this modem?  Performance? Compatibility with Comm s/w? Pros and cons in
>comparison with regular external modems(since Teleport draws power from the
>ADB port)?

The TelePort is an excellent, wonderful device.  I have been evaluating one
for a few weeks, and I am very happy with its performance.

Because the TelePort draws power from the ADB, you don't want to have TOO
many other ADB devices attached at once.  Don't worry about being tempted
to use two TelePorts at once... the Apple Desktop Bus doesn't have quite
enough bandwidth to handle two such devices jabbering at a higher-than-
2400-baud effective rate anyway.

One drawback I've noticed is that the TelePort is not YET suitable for use
with the Macintosh Classic, the Mac LC, or the Mac IIsi.  It needs to plug
into the spare ADB port on the Mac, and these machines only have one.  If
you plug in your keyboard and mouse, you don't have a spare.  Of course, if
you have one of those trackballs with a pass-through ADB port, the problem
is solved!  Of course, the TelePort will also not work with a Mac Plus or
earlier.

Any questions?  I'd be happy to try to answer them, or you can get in touch
with Global Village's responsive tech support people.

Disclaimer: I am not connected with Global Village in any way, though I
            suspect, based on the results of my evaluations, that I'll be
            recommending that we sell the TelePort in our dealership.

--
Mark H. Anbinder        *************************   mha@theory.tn.cornell.edu
BAKA Computers          *                 *******  ...!batcomputer!memory!mha

yossie@fnal.fnal.gov (Yossie Silverman) (11/29/90)

I have had one since mid-August.  I like it.  There are a few small
problems that annoy me (and are supposedly being addressed by GVC):

1) The modem hangs up when the comm port is closed (by exiting a program).
   This might be fixed in a later release of the software, I am still
   waiting for mine.
2) The modem hangs up when the computer is reset - I am told that this is
   a firmware decision and not easily changed (short of a hardware fix)
3) NMP5 negotiation takes bloody forever - not sure if this is the NMP5
   fault or the modem.
4) The menu bar shifts in a funny manner when the TelePort status bar is
   up there.  I haven't called this one in yet, it is at best an esthetic
   consideration.

Haven't had a chance to play with the send-fax capabilities yet (they
promised the software would be at my door within a few days - I am
hopeful).  They sound satisfactory.

The modem is more than capable of delivering nearly 400 chars/second when
NMP5 is enabled and in use.  The keyboard does not suffer in responsivness
at all (as far as I can tell) nor does the mouse.

I like this modem, and, I agree with the previous poster, their service is
most satisfactory!  It's a good buy (even though I got it through their
special deal for $149 and now MacConnection has it for $129! :-()  At
least I get the send-fax software for free!)

- Yossie

---

yossie@fnal.fnal.gov; yossie@fnccf.bitnet
What did the Caspian Sea? - Saki

RICK.EBERTS@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (RICK EBERTS) (12/09/90)

I HAVE A QUESTION REGARDING THE TELEPORT.  IN USING IT WITH A COMM.
PROGRAM HOW DOES THE COMM. PROGRAM KNOW TO USE ADB VS. THE MODEM O
PRINTER PORTS?

--
RICK EBERTS via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!RICK.EBERTS

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (12/12/90)

In article <110754.2762D314@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG>, RICK.EBERTS@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (RICK EBERTS) writes:

> I HAVE A QUESTION REGARDING THE TELEPORT.  IN USING IT WITH A COMM.
> PROGRAM HOW DOES THE COMM. PROGRAM KNOW TO USE ADB VS. THE MODEM O
> PRINTER PORTS?

The comm program does really know.  There is a cdev that comes along
with the Teleport modem that lets you configure it.  It can either
"pretend" to be the modem port or the printer port or be usable via
the comm toolbox (CTB).

In the non-comm tooolbox cases, the comm programs think they are talking
to the standard modem/printer port serial drivers.

With the comm toolbox, the comm programs talk directly to the Teleport
modem.  This only works if the commm program is CTB aware.

In article <b.YZI58L@outpost.UUCP>, peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:

> In article <110754.2762D314@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG>, RICK.EBERTS@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (RICK EBERTS) writes:
> >
> > I HAVE A QUESTION REGARDING THE TELEPORT.  IN USING IT WITH A COMM.
> > PROGRAM HOW DOES THE COMM. PROGRAM KNOW TO USE ADB VS. THE MODEM O
> > PRINTER PORTS?
>
> The comm program does really know.  There is a cdev that comes along
                   ^^^^
Sorry for the typo, the comm program doesN'T really know.