[comp.sys.mac.comm] Problems installing GatorBox....

bhuttam@woods.ulowell.edu (Muhammad Bilal A. Bhutta) (12/10/90)

   Judging from the recent posting on GaterBox setup, I figure I could use some
help. In the macintosh lab where I work, we recently decided to upgrade from
serial connection to VAX to ethernet gateway, as my boss settled on Caymen
GatorBox. Although, the gateway has been configured properly (I think!) the
macs on Appletalk still cannot access the VAX by using NCSA Telnet. What could
the problem be? Is there any need to install MacTCP? BTW What is MacTCP? Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Bilal A. Bhutta
 Nuclear Engineering Dept.                      ---> bhuttam@woods.ulowell.edu
 University of Lowell, MA                       -->  bhuttam@spruce.ulowell.edu
	                   =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
************************* ||  :-) for Rent   || ********************************
                           =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec9.155748.1@woods.ulowell.edu> bhuttam@woods.ulowell.edu
(Muhammad Bilal A. Bhutta) writes:
>    Judging from the recent posting on GaterBox setup, I
> figure I could use some help. In the macintosh lab where I
> work, we recently decided to upgrade from serial connection
> to VAX to ethernet gateway, as my boss settled on Caymen
> GatorBox.

You migh post to comp.protocols.appletalk, where you'll find
the care and feeding of FastPath's, GatorBoxes, Multigates,
etc. one of the MFAQ.  As well why not contact Cayman
directly?  They have an FTP sever at cayman.cayman.com
(192.31.222.1), but I don't know their tech support e-mail
address off the top of my head. Phone number is (or at least
was) (617) 494-1999. They have a good tech support
reputation.

If you do post to comp.protocols.appletalk, it'll be a race
who answers first: Cayman or Webster.  (Tom Evans at Webster
has this awesome ability to know not only everything there
is to know about DDP/IP gateways and the Webster Multigate,
but he also seems to know his competitor's products just as
well, and often gives objective, helpful insights on the
net, even if they don't generate a short-term sale for
Webster.)

> Although, the gateway has been configured properly (I
> think!) the macs on Appletalk still cannot access the VAX by
> using NCSA Telnet. What could the problem be?

Any number of things:

 - Check the IP address of the Mac running NCSA.  Is
   it marked KIP (e.g. determined dynamically)?  Or is
   it marked MacTCP?  Is so, do you have MacTCP? Is the IP
   address that NCSA reports within the range of IP addresses
   you allocated to the GatorBox?

 - Can the VAX ping the GatorBox base address?  If not, you
   may not have an IP path to the GatorBox for some reason.

 - Can the VAX ping the Mac IP address running telnet?
   (Remember that in NCSA if you leave the "Show net
    numbers" dialogue open, the mac won't respond to IP
    Pings.

 - Is the path between the Mac and the GatorBox problematic?
   (Fire up InterPoll from the Mac and you should see the
    GatorBox as NBP type IPGateway.)

> Is there any
> need to install MacTCP? BTW What is MacTCP?

No it's not necessary to use a MacTCP-based TCP/IP
application in order to use a GatorBox (or a FastPath, or a
Multigate, etc.)  Most Telnet applications are available in
two versions: one which uses its own built-in driver, and
one which requires the MacTCP driver.

MacTCP is sold by Apple individually (M0230LL/D $100) or
more commonly as site licences ($2500-$5000).  It is also
shipped with some commercial TCP/IP applications (e.g. White
Pine Exodus Xserver, I believe, and of course with
InterCon's TCP/Connect II).

The use of a MacTCP driver on a Mac, along with TCP/IP
applications especially written for the MacTCP driver allows
you to simultaneouly run multiple IP aplications without
them stepping on each other's drivers. Hence as I write this
I have NetNewsReader 1.2.1, Brown tn3270 2.3d19, NCSA 2.4b,
and MacX all running simultaneously on top of MacTCP.  Now
if I had more RAM, I could fire up Doug Hornig's HyperFTP
1.3 or Steve Dorner's Eudora SMTP client.  :^)  :^)

hope this helps,

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca