[comp.sys.mac.comm] MacTCP Conflict with Std TelNet?

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (12/11/90)

I am implementing a network news reader on my network.
The net news reader utilizes MacTCP.
Most of my users are using the standard (Non-MacTCP)
version of TelNet V2.3.

While I know that I cannot have both tools running at
the same time without a conflict, I should be able to
run them sequentially.

It appears that once one tool is used,
the second tool cannot access the necessary port.
This occurs even when the first tool has been quit.

I know that the simplest thing to do is convert everyone
to a version of TelNet that supports MacTCP.  Unfortunately
this will mean extra work for me and confusion for the users.

My Question: am I doing something wrong or is there a conflict?
What is the exact nature of the conflict?

Thanks
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (12/12/90)

In article <5346@crystal9.UUCP>, derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
> My Question: am I doing something wrong or is there a conflict?
> What is the exact nature of the conflict?

The problem is that you will be able to use the NCSA telnet first and then
use whatever uses MacTCP second, but then will not be able to go back to
the NCSA telnet.  The reason is that MacTCP does not release the card totally.
NCSA telnet does.  Hope this helps?

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (12/12/90)

In article <276511E7.3FF5@intercon.com> kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt
Baumann) writes:
> In article <5346@crystal9.UUCP>, derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
> > My Question: am I doing something wrong or is there a conflict?
> > What is the exact nature of the conflict?
>
> The problem is that you will be able to use the NCSA telnet first and
> then use whatever uses MacTCP second, but then will not be able to go back
> to the NCSA telnet.  The reason is that MacTCP does not release the card
> totally.  NCSA telnet does.  Hope this helps?

John, yah, it's a headache. :^(  We treat it like this:  Our users can run
non-MacTCP or MacTCP telnet as they wish.  But as part of the
NetNewsReader install, we tell them convert to MacTCP telnet or don't
bother with the newsreader install.  Draconian, but sure simplifies
things.    :^)

'Course they can ignore this advice.  If they have problems, we just tell
them to reboot between MacTCP and non-MacTCP applications until they see
the light and get arount to ensuring that all their IP applications are
MacTCP based.  Usually they see the light fairly quickly.   :^)

Since most of our Macs are currently on LocalTalk behind DDP/IP gateways,
conversion to MacTCP is not as painful as it might be.  We distribute a
pre-configured and "protected" copy of MacTCP which works behind any
DDP/IP gateway, with no user configuration possible or necessary.  They
drop this in their System Folder, reboot and fire up a MacTCP-based telnet.

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca

bschmidt@rr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (12/12/90)

Sender: usenet@wdl