[comp.sys.mac.comm] NetModem

kling@ut-emx.uucp (Ken Klingensmith) (12/13/90)

We have a network of 10 macs and a need to occasionally access the
outside world using a modem from any one of these machines.  One
such solution is Shiva's NetModem.  Does anyone have any comments?

Thanks,
Ken Klingensmith

andyb@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca (Andy Babinszki) (12/13/90)

In article <41268@ut-emx.uucp>, kling@ut-emx.uucp (Ken Klingensmith) writes:
> We have a network of 10 macs and a need to occasionally access the
> outside world using a modem from any one of these machines.  One
> such solution is Shiva's NetModem.  Does anyone have any comments?
>
> Thanks,
> Ken Klingensmith

Tastes great.  Less filling.  On an AppleTalk network of about 130
Macs, it works fine for us.  We've been using it for about 1 1/2 years
with no problem.  - Well one minor problem: when dialing into AppleLink
the AppleLink 5.1 s/w thinks that the line has dropped when it is still
up.  A problem with AppleLink or the modem?  I think its AppleLink,
but can't be sure.  BTW we're using a NetModem V2400 not the V.32.

One major BONUS: Dial-In capability.  Become part of your AppleTalk
network from home!  Print to lasers, use file servers, etc.  At 2400
baud it's slow, but it can be done.  When we bought our NetModem there
was no V.32 and it cost us about the same as the V.32 does now.  I'd
highly recommend going for the V.32 for the increased throughput.
It doesn't currently support V.42 & V.42bis error checking & compression
but according to sources at Shiva, it will.  In fact they _claim_ that
existing V.32 NetModems will be upgradable to the V.42 stuff when
it becomes available.  Imagine dialing in @ 38K bps!  Ooooo! :-)

Andy.

Andy Babinszki - andyb@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (12/15/90)

>In article <41268@ut-emx.uucp>, kling@ut-emx.uucp (Ken Klingensmith) writes:
>> We have a network of 10 macs and a need to occasionally access the
>> outside world using a modem from any one of these machines.  One
>> such solution is Shiva's NetModem.  Does anyone have any comments?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ken Klingensmith

We use netmodems for our dial out capability and it is
great.  For dial in, we have a netserial with a hayes
9600 (which does 19.2).  The extra speed is NECESSARY, as
2400 is much much too slow for any access.  Hayes has
now come out with a 9600 that does 38.4KBS, wow!
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =