[comp.sys.mac.comm] Need telnet program that supports all f-keys

scotth@corp.sgi.com (Scott Henry) (12/04/90)

Does anybody know either:

1) how to configure NCSA telnet to send something unique for each of the
   f-keys on the extended keyboard, or

2) another telnet or rlogin protocol terminal emulator?

It needs to work in the following configuration:

We have a large number of Macs on localtalk networks. There is a Gatorbox
connecting each net to the Ethernet backbone. There are several
applications (on VMS and Unix boxes connected to the ethernet) that people
need to be able to run using their Mac as a terminal. These programs are
easily configurable as to the function key layout, and what character
sequences they send, but they need a minimum of about 15 f-keys to be
functional (20 would be best, if the editing keypad is available, too).
Running a serial cable to each Mac and using something like Mac240 is a
last resort, mostly because we'd rather not buy any more terminal servers.

E-mail responses are preferred, reply to: scotth@sgi.com.

thanks very much,

-- scott
--
 Scott Henry <scotth@sgi.com> / Traveller on Dragon Wings
 Information Services,       / Help! My disclaimer is missing!

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (12/07/90)

>Does anybody know either:

>1) how to configure NCSA telnet to send something unique for each of the
>   f-keys on the extended keyboard, or

I ended up using one of the many macro tools out there to build
a set of 3270 terminal emulation keys.  It was simple but time
consumming.

I used MacroMaker, but there are many others that will do the
trick.

If it is 3270 emulation that you are after, tn3270 (by the boys
at NCSA) has a pull down menu for all the keys and maps most of
them to the f-keys to boot.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (12/10/90)

In article <4504@manta.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
> If it is 3270 emulation that you are after, tn3270 (by the boys
> at NCSA) has a pull down menu for all the keys and maps most of
^^^^^^^^^
 > them to the f-keys to boot.

True, tn3270 uses underlying NCSA TCP/IP code, but that wonderful
interface is Peter diCammillo's at Brown University.  Brown tn3270 is
available at brownvm.brown.edu by anonymous ftp (128.148.128.40), and
probably also in the contributed s/w at zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu
(128.174.20.50).

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca

johnc@synopsys.com (John Crossley) (12/14/90)

We are using QuickKeys to program the F-Keys to do exactly what we want...

John Crossley                       (415) 962-7069
johnc@synopsys.com

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (12/15/90)

johnc@synopsys.com (John Crossley) writes:

>We are using QuickKeys to program the F-Keys to do exactly what we want...

Ditto on MacroMaker which we use.  It is free.  If you purchased
MS Word lately, it came with AutoMacIII, free also.

If, by chance, you are doing 3270 terminal emulation, the
boys at NCSA also have a TelNet like application called
tn3270 which has f-key support build in and a pull down
menu to boot.

Enjoy.