[comp.sys.mac.comm] X-11 over serial?

krady@maths.tcd.ie (Keith Brady) (12/09/90)

Is it possible to get an X-Windows emulator for the Mac Plus running
over a 19200 serial line to a Sparcstation? Memory for the Mac shouldn't
be a problem. It seems a tall order but I might as well ask. If it's PD
or Shareware, so much the better.

Keith

--
#>  Keith Brady, Maths Dept, TCD, Dublin.                           <#
#>  krady@maths.tcd.ie          -   Ireland's oldest PDP-11         <#

stevewi@hpspdra.HP.COM (Steve Witten) (12/16/90)

> Is it possible to get an X-Windows emulator for the Mac Plus running
> over a 19200 serial line to a Sparcstation? Memory for the Mac shouldn't
> be a problem. It seems a tall order but I might as well ask. If it's PD
> or Shareware, so much the better.
>
> Keith
>
> --
> #>  Keith Brady, Maths Dept, TCD, Dublin.                           <#
> #>  krady@maths.tcd.ie          -   Ireland's oldest PDP-11         <#
> #>  kjbrady@vax1.tcd.ie         -   Bigger brother                  <#
----------

The specifications for a the X Window System state that the only
restriction on client/server communications is that it be over a
"reliable byte-stream" transport.  However, most commercial suppliers
of X interpret the term "reliable byte stream" to mean TCP.  While it
is technically feasible (I worked on a project that used Kermit as the
transport between a UNIX client and a server running on an IBM PC),
you probably won't be able to buy such a beast -- you'll probably have
to roll your own...

I'm still waiting for the same thing as you.  BTW, the client library
and the server have to both be coded to use serial communications.
You could always try SLIP too (but then you'd probably have to
implement TCP on SLIP on your Mac).

Steve Witten                    stevewi%hpspdra@hplabs.hp.com
Intelligent Networks Operation  ...!hplabs!hpspdra!stevewi
Hewlett-Packard Co.             stevewi@hpspdra.spd.hp.com

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (12/16/90)

stevewi@hpspdra.HP.COM (Steve Witten) writes:

>The specifications for a the X Window System state that the only
>restriction on client/server communications is that it be over a
>"reliable byte-stream" transport.  However, most commercial suppliers
>of X interpret the term "reliable byte stream" to mean TCP.  While it
>is technically feasible (I worked on a project that used Kermit as the
>transport between a UNIX client and a server running on an IBM PC),
>you probably won't be able to buy such a beast -- you'll probably have
>to roll your own...

	At a recent computer expo here in DC I saw an NCD X-terminal
running X-windows over a 9600 baud V.32 line using their proprietary
X-remote protocol. Very impressive, though not quite as fast as the
more common ethernet connection. Still, I wouldn't try to run anything
serious over a 2400 baud line. :-)