[comp.sys.mac.comm] SLIP support without MacTCP support

kari@xanadu.com (Kari Dubbelman) (12/19/90)

In article <276D0C56.4004@intercon.com> kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:

>Now this is not done over MacTCP, but when you are on a Mac not directly
>on the network who cares if you using MacTCP?  Our package uses our builtin
>TCP/IP stack to provide SLIP functionality.

Consider that there are many programs for the Mac that already use
MacTCP (either directly or through the Comm Toolbox). As your products
work today (or at least this is my understanding thereof - correct me
if I'm wrong), there is no way to benefit from your SLIP
implementation when running non-InterCon programs like X-Windows,
MacWorkstation, or any programs that use the Comm Toolbox, like
VersaTerm.

I know that doing it the "correct" way was harder, especially since
Apple did not release MacTCP until months (years?) after you had
written (NCSA) Telnet. I just wanted to point out that although you
provide many fine compatible network-capable programs for the Mac, in
no way do you provide them all, and living in harmony with the others
would benefit the customers. You should change your layering to
accommodate MacTCP.

In order to be really slick, a SLIP implementation should understand
the Mac Comm Toolbox to the extent that you should be able to run the
SLIP line to a port on a third-party quad-serial-port card with
nothing more than standard Comm Toolbox support for that card. This
may be easy, hard or impossible - I haven't studied it in sufficient
detail.  But it sure is desirable.

Kari Dubbelman, TeraCons, PO Box 160668, Cupertino, CA 95016-0668 (408)266-8241
**  Internet:Kari@Xanadu.com CIS:75130,24 AppleLink/GEnie/MCI/PAN:TeraCons   **
--

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec19.071338.12636@xanadu.com>, kari@xanadu.com (Kari
Dubbelman) writes:
> You should change your layering to
> accommodate MacTCP.

Hmm, I don't really disagree.  What I would rather do is solve the problem
with MacTCP, then again there are MANY ways to solve that problem.  Perhaps
we will be able to do something in the near term.

Yes I know that we are not the only ones providing good TCP software.  But
we do try to be the best choice, and that means listening to all of your
comments.  Rest assured we do listen and we are working on things.  Thanks
for the good comments and good feedback.

(oh, by the by, we do support MacTCP, just not with SLIP.)

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (12/20/90)

(Kari Dubbelman) writes:
>I just wanted to point out that although you
>provide many fine compatible network-capable programs for the Mac, in
>no way do you provide them all, and living in harmony with the others
>would benefit the customers. You should change your layering to
>accommodate MacTCP.

The problem isn't in InterCon's software, which already supports
MacTCP, and has since MacTCP's initial release.  The problem is MacTCP
itself, the current version of which has some timing flaws which
prevent it from working over low-speed links such as SLIP or PPP.

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda