[comp.sys.mac.comm] Need AppleSingle to Mac converter

mahesh@caradhras.cc.nd.edu (Mahesh Subramanya) (12/11/90)

	Does anyone out there in mac land have any suggestions as
to how I would go about translating a AppleSingle file into a standart
Macintosh file?   I have AppleSingle files sitting on my UNIX box,
and I can access these files using POPmail on my Macintosh,  but
for the life of me I can't figure out how I'd translate these
files into good-old Macintosh files.    Is there any simple
AppleSingle->Mac translator sitting out there?

Thanx in advance

---

Mahesh Subramanya                     INTERNET: mahesh@caradhras.cc.nd.edu
Senior Analyst
Office of University Computing        NeXT:     mahesh@numenor.next.nd.edu
University of Notre Dame              Voice:    (219) 239-5600  x6421
Notre Dame,  IN  46556

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec11.015303.20939@news.nd.edu>, mahesh@caradhras.cc.nd.edu
(Mahesh Subramanya) writes:
> 	Does anyone out there in mac land have any suggestions as
> to how I would go about translating a AppleSingle file into a standart
> Macintosh file?   I have AppleSingle files sitting on my UNIX box,
> and I can access these files using POPmail on my Macintosh,  but
> for the life of me I can't figure out how I'd translate these
> files into good-old Macintosh files.    Is there any simple
> AppleSingle->Mac translator sitting out there?

Two suggestions:

Get a NFS client for you Mac. Then all you will need to do is to mount the
remote file system and drag the files from the remote to you local disk.

Or use A/UX 2.0 which you should be able to move files from your unix side
to your Mac side disks.

I am not aware of any programs that handle this.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (12/12/90)

(Mahesh Subramanya) writes:
>         Does anyone out there in mac land have any suggestions as
> to how I would go about translating a AppleSingle file into a standard
> Macintosh file?

Ditto for AppleDouble.

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000

antonio@Apple.COM (Antonio Ordonez) (12/12/90)

In article <9491@ncar.ucar.edu> hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) writes:
>In article <1990Dec11.015303.20939@news.nd.edu> mahesh@caradhras.cc.nd.edu
>(Mahesh Subramanya) writes:
>>         Does anyone out there in mac land have any suggestions as
>> to how I would go about translating a AppleSingle file into a standard
>> Macintosh file?
>
>Ditto for AppleDouble.

I will assume that both of you are talking about A/UX files so,
there is a utility in A/UX called fcnvt (file convert).

It will allow you to do AppleSingle, AppleDouble, MacBinary
and BinHex conversions.

The man page is very clear as to how to use it bu an example would
be

fcnvt -i single -o double MacFile NewMacFile

where MacFile is an AppleSingle file and NewMacFile will be an AppleDouble
file.

Hope this helps

Antonio

#include <disclaimer.h> 	/*  I'll think of a better one later  */
Antonio Ordonez				 	      amdahl \
Technical Communications/Direct Response Center	  pyramid!sun - apple!antonio
Apple Computer, Inc. (408) 996-1010		      decwrl /

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (12/12/90)

In article <47267@apple.Apple.COM> antonio@Apple.COM (Antonio Ordonez)
writes:
> In article <9491@ncar.ucar.edu> hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) writes:
> >In article <1990Dec11.015303.20939@news.nd.edu>
mahesh@caradhras.cc.nd.edu
> >(Mahesh Subramanya) writes:
> >>         Does anyone out there in mac land have any suggestions as
> >> to how I would go about translating a AppleSingle file into a standard
> >> Macintosh file?
> >
> >Ditto for AppleDouble.
>
> I will assume that both of you are talking about A/UX files so,
> there is a utility in A/UX called fcnvt (file convert).

In my case, no.

The Cayman Gatorbox, via its GatorShare software, makes an NFS volume
appear to a Mac to be an AppleShare volume. On the NFS side, Mac files are
stored in either AppleSingle or AppleDouble format. It would be convenient
(after FTPing from sumex, or apple.com, say) to convert from BinHex to
AppleDouble format using a tool that ran on the NFS side. This machine
might be a Sun, and IBM RISC, a DEC MIPS, etc.

Unfortunately, then, fcnvt won't do the job (although it has just the
right functionality); unless you could make the source code available!

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec11.015303.20939@news.nd.edu>, mahesh@caradhras.cc.nd.edu (Mahesh Subramanya) writes:
> 	Does anyone out there in mac land have any suggestions as
> to how I would go about translating a AppleSingle file into a standart
> Macintosh file?   I have AppleSingle files sitting on my UNIX box,

I have source for decyphering AppleSingle and AppleDouble files, as
well as converting them into MacBinary files. This code could very
easily be converted to generate Macintosh files. In fact, its a no
brainer. If you can not do the work, and can find no one to help you,
then you could use the MacBinary program to convert the resulting
MB file into a normal Mac file.

If *anyone* desires this source, please email me and I will send you
a copy. I intend to post it to comp.sources.mac, but that will take
a considerable time, so email if you're anxious.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288

Roy_Roper@qms1.life.uiuc.edu (Roy Roper) (12/20/90)

Try email to tech@cayman.com for translators.  They should be able to help
you.

Roy Roper