[comp.sys.mac.comm] uncompress on the Macs?

hhchou@nell.cs.umd.edu (Hui-Hsien Chou) (12/18/90)

Hi, there,

I just wondering is there an "uncompress" program on Mac which can
uncompress those files down load from the Unix system with the .Z
tail, i.e., they are compressed by the "compress" program in Unix.

Thanks in advance.

* Hui-Hsien Chou			|                                     *
* University of Maryland		|                                     *
* Department of Computer Science	|                                     *
* College Park, Maryland 20742		|                                     *
*					|                                     *
* The email address:			|                                     *
* hhchou@cs.umd.edu			|                                     *

rterry@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Ray Terry) (12/19/90)

>I just wondering is there an "uncompress" program on Mac which can
>uncompress those files down load from the Unix system with the .Z
>tail, i.e., they are compressed by the "compress" program in Unix.

Yes, it is called MacCompress and I think the latest version is 3.2.  It
is available on sumex and most likely BBSs local to you.

Ray

jmv@sppy00.UUCP (J. Vickroy +1 614 764 4343) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec18.175616.19884@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark  Lanett) writes:
=>hhchou@nell.cs.umd.edu (Hui-Hsien Chou) writes:
=>
=>>I just wondering is there an "uncompress" program on Mac which can
=>>uncompress those files down load from the Unix system with the .Z
=>>tail, i.e., they are compressed by the "compress" program in Unix.
=>
=>Try MacCompress, at sumex in info-mac/util.

Has anyone used MacCompress to uncompress UUCP news? I've tried it but it
fails complaining about the "magic number".

Any help is appreciated....

jim
---
Jim Vickroy                               | Voice:      +1 614 764 4343
Telecommunications Systems Engineering    | Internet:   jmv@rsch.oclc.org
Online Computer Library Center, Inc.      | uucp:       osu-cis!sppy00!jmv
6565 Frantz Road, Dublin Ohio, 43017-0702 | CompuServe: 73777,662

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (12/21/90)

In article <1059@sppy00.UUCP>, jmv@sppy00.UUCP (J. Vickroy +1 614 764 4343) writes:
> Has anyone used MacCompress to uncompress UUCP news? I've tried it but it
> fails complaining about the "magic number".
>
> Any help is appreciated....

Remember that the batched compressed news files coming down from UUCP
connections is in "cunbatch" mode (usually). Thus, you must first
remove the "#! cunbatch\012" from the beginning of this file. Secondly,
many news files are compressed at 12 bits instead of 16. Thus, you
would need to check this setting in MacCompress.

tim.