[comp.sys.mac.comm] how to mail InterNet <-> America On Line?

ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) (12/19/90)

 I would like to contact some representative of AOL by e-mail. Can I
send an e-mail from InterNet?

Masato Ogawa					Sony corp.

ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp				Tokyo, Japan

andyb@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca (Andy Babinszki) (12/20/90)

In article <OGAWA.90Dec19205951@actor.sm.sony.co.jp>, ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) writes:

>  I would like to contact some representative of AOL by e-mail. Can I
> send an e-mail from InterNet?

While we're at it how 'bout getting mail into _and_ out of Delphi, GEnie
and MCIMail?

Andy Babinszki - andyb@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca

ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) (12/20/90)

I asked:
In article <OGAWA.90Dec19205951@actor.sm.sony.co.jp> ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) writes:
 >  I would like to contact some representative of AOL by e-mail. Can I
 > send an e-mail from InterNet?

I have several mails that there is no gateway for it.

 Thank you !

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (12/20/90)

In article <1CE00001.beyexu@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca> andyb@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca writes:

>In article <OGAWA.90Dec19205951@actor.sm.sony.co.jp>, ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) writes:
>>
>>  I would like to contact some representative of AOL by e-mail. Can I
>> send an e-mail from InterNet?
>>

>While we're at it how 'bout getting mail into _and_ out of Delphi, GEnie
>and MCIMail?

>Andy Babinszki - andyb@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca

I grabbed this from the net a while back. I believe that many
will still find it useful. The original was compiled by Jeff Wasilko.

From tank!ncar!mailrus!wuarchive!brutus.cs.uiuc.edu!apple!netcom!wasilko Tue Sep 12 08:35:23 CDT 1989
Article 19802 of comp.sys.mac:
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Access to Compuserve
Date: 12 Sep 89 10:04:58 GMT

In article <2360@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> paul@ucsfccb.UUCP (Paul Green) writes:
>I read recently that it is now possible to send mail to
>an account on Compuserve from Internet (and visa versa?).
>However, I did not write down the infomation. I would be
>very grateful if someone could send me the info.
>Thank you.

The folloing information is from comp.dcom.telecom newsgroup. It covers
a bit more than the compuserve-internet link, but other people may be interested
in it.

Jeff Wasilko
wasilko@netcom
--------------------
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Re: Compuserve and the Internet
Date: 24 Aug 89 19:38:20 GMT
Sender: news@vector.Dallas.TX.US

In article <telecom-v09i0305m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> ken@cup.portal.com writes:

>For those that use or know someone on Compuserve, it is now
>possible to mail to or from the Internet and CIS. The procedure
>is pretty straight forward, but I don't have it handy now. If
>anyone is interested, let me know and I will mail a copy.

>[Moderator's Note: ... the addressing scheme is '7xxxx.xxx@compuserve.com'
>and it is quite reliable. The first part is simply the CI$ user ID number
>separated with a dot in the middle. I send copies of the Digest to a couple
>people on CI$ now who prefer to receive it in their mailbox there, although
>no re-distribution of the Digest is permitted at that site.  PT]

Does anyone know if there is a direct connection to Compuserve from the
Internet? It would save a lot of money and time if you could telnet directly
in. At least 50% of my time on-line is spent waiting for stuff to print to the
screen at 2400 baud.

G.J. (Joe) Bradley, Georgia Tech Research Institute, Atlanta, Georgia, 30332

UUCP:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gb7
INTERNET: gb7@prism.gatech.edu
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Internet Gateways to Commercial Networks
Date: 4 Sep 89 15:48:08 GMT
Sender: news@vector.Dallas.TX.US

In past postings to the Digest, I recall there has been mention of addressing
syntax for sending mail to users of various commercial info services such as
Compuserve.  Naturally, I didn't bother jotting them down, holding the anive
belief, I suppose, that I wouldn't need them.  Of course, it turns out I now
*do* have a use for them, so I wonder if Patrick or some other kind soul would
be willing to post a summary.  To satisfy an utterly idle curiosity, I would be
interested to know what gateway software and hardware is behind the addressing
syntaxes (syntaces?) as well.

--
Be seeing you...
--Lang Zerner

[Moderator's Note: They are getting easier to use all the time. In years
past, the addressing schemes were pretty convoluted, but now, it is quite
simple, at least to get from *here* to *them*, if not necessarily the other
way around.

A few examples I use frequently:  attmail!username@att.com
                                  mailbox.number@mci.com
                                  7xxxxx.yyy@compuserve.com
                                  first.last@zone.net.node.fidonet.org

Going to Fido, 'fidonet.org' causes the mail to route to the assigned gateway
or the default gateway, based on the node and net. To write us, Fido people
address their mail to username: uucp; at one of the gateway addresses. The
first line of text MUST say: "To: username@site.domain" and the second line
of text MUST be blank. As for AT&T, MCI and Compuserve, maybe someone from
those places reading the Digest can send along the methodology involved
in getting mail to the Internet.   PT]
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Re: Internet Gateways to Commercial Networks
Date: 6 Sep 89 00:17:12 GMT
Sender: news@vector.Dallas.TX.US

In article <telecom-v09i0347m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> langz@asylum.UUCP (Lang
Zerner) writes:
>[Moderator's Note: They are getting easier to use all the time. In years
>past, the addressing schemes were pretty convoluted, but now, it is quite
>simple, at least to get from *here* to *them*, if not necessarily the other
>way around.
[...]
>                                  mailbox.number@mci.com

MCI Mail boxes are arranged as phone numbers, like 367-9829 (my old box).
To address a MCI mail box, you can use that number exactly, with the dash,
or without the dash (3679829). MCI Mail sends to Internet the mailbox
number without the dash, and 2 zero's prefixed ("003679829@mcimail.com" is
what it would look like from MCI Mail).

>................... As for AT&T, MCI and Compuserve, maybe someone from
>those places reading the Digest can send along the methodology involved
>in getting mail to the Internet.   PT]

In MCI Mail, at the "Command:" prompt, type "CR" (for create letter).
At the "To:" prompt, type the name of the person you are sending to, followed
by "(EMS)" (with the paretheses (sp?)), like so:
     To: Joe Blow (ems)
Then, it will ask for the EMS system, type "Internet", like so:
     EMS: Internet
Then, it will ask for the MBX (mailbox) of the person, you type the internet
address at this point:
     MBX: ranma@cup.portal.com
MCI Mail does NOT have a smart mailer. So, if you mail to UUCP, Bitnet, etc,
you have to use the gateways to get there, like so:
     MBX: bougus!address!ranma@uunet.uu.net
                  <or>
     MBX: ranma%address.UUCP@uunet.uu.net
          (this assumes the machine "address" is in the published UUCP maps).

MCI Mail polls NRI (their mail gateway) every 30 minutes.

In MCI Mail, you can send to a person by their name, but that is an
interactive session where if there was more than one match, you get to
pick the right person on MCI Mail. Mail from the Internet, you can't do
that, so you must know the MCI Mailbox number of that person.

The MCI Mail recepient does not see the Internet routing headers when they
recieve mail. The Internet mail can be directly "REplied" to in MCI Mail.
Your Internet address can be part of a "list" on someones MCI Mail acct
(alaiases).

MCI Mail will send a message to the originator (on MCI Mail) if the message
has not been delivered (because of TCP foul-ups, host down, etc.) It will
keep trying for 3 days, the it will return the message as undeliverable.

On Lotus Express, when you create a letter, at the To: prompt, hit "F9" to
expand the address, the fill the "EMS" and "MBX" prompts like usual.

Hope this helps.

     Robert Gutierrez
     <ranma@cup.portal.com> from a borrowed account.
     ****IF YOU REPLY TO THIS ACCOUNT, make the Subject: "c/o Ranma"****

Na Choon Piaw			P.O Box, 4067, Berkeley, CA 94704-0067
laba-2ac@web.berkeley.edu	Disclaimer: I'm speaking only for myself!
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: 5 Sep 89 20:17:12 GMT
Sender: news@vector.Dallas.TX.US

>As for AT&T, MCI and Compuserve, maybe someone from
>those places reading the Digest can send along the methodology involved
>in getting mail to the Internet.

Sending mail from MCI Mail to the Internet works the same way as from MCI
mail to any other network to which they have a gateway.  You give the "EMS"
option after the recipient's address, then the network name "Internet" and
for the mailbox address, the Internet address of the recipient.  The gateway
is very well implemented and does a good job of preserving mail addresses so
you can respond to them smoothly.  When sending into MCI Mail, the mailbox
number is written with no punctuation, so my address there is
0001037498@mci.com.  I have seen no documentation for this gateway, but
since at the moment messages pass both ways for free (not even the usual MCI
Mail message charge) I can hardly complain.

>From Compuserve, you give an address like ">INTERNET: user@site.domain" on
the address line.  HELP INTERNET gives more info.  Inbound, the two parts of
the Compuserve user number are separated by a dot, rather than the usual
comma.

I don't use AT&T Mail, but my understanding is that it acts somewhat like a
very large uucp site, and regular uucp bang syntax should work.

--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl, Levine@YALE.edu
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: 5 Sep 89 14:49:43 GMT
Sender: news@vector.Dallas.TX.US

Using the new EasyPlex -> Internet bridge is very easy requiring that the
addressee be supplied as follows:

>internet:user@domain

That's all there is to it.  From MCI Mail to Internet, the procedure involves
specifying:

TO: Username (EMS)
EMS: Internet
MBX: user@domain

Scott Loftesness
76703.407@COMPUSERVE.COM (SysOp of the HamNet Amateur Radio/SWL Forum)
--

Jeff Wasilko
wasilko@netcom.uucp          uunet!apple!netcom!wasilko

--
X-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-X
X	           David Baird			xdab@midway.uchicago.edu      X

daven@svc.portal.com (12/21/90)

In article <OGAWA.90Dec19205951@actor.sm.sony.co.jp> ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) writes:

> I would like to contact some representative of AOL by e-mail. Can I
>send an e-mail from InterNet?

Nope, there are many things I like about AOL, but this is not one of them.
They seem to believe in closed worlds. The parent company "Quantum" (not
related to the drive manufacture) runs 3 other online services, and as
far as I can tell they are all closed Email systems.

   Dave Newman              |  daven@svc.portal.com        |  AppleLink: D0025
   Sofware Ventures Corp.   |  AOL: MicroPhone             |  CIS: 76004,2161
   Berkeley, CA  94705      |  WELL: tinman@well.sf.ca.us  |  (415) 644-3232

ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec20.012249.20876@midway.uchicago.edu> xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) writes:
 > In article <1CE00001.beyexu@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca> andyb@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca writes:
 > >While we're at it how 'bout getting mail into _and_ out of Delphi, GEnie
 > >and MCIMail?

 > >Andy Babinszki - andyb@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca
 >

 > I grabbed this from the net a while back. I believe that many
 > will still find it useful. The original was compiled by Jeff Wasilko.

ah, I see. Sorry I don't understand Andy's english because I'm not
good at English.

 For exchanging e-mail between networks, the information is being
posted in comp.mail.misc & news.newusers.questions by John J. Chew.
I may miss recent posting, but I have the version of January '90. At
first I looked for that list and checked the latest posting in my
spool.
  So I cross-posted this question in comp.sys.mac.comm AND
comp.mail.misc.

  In the list, Genie and Delfi are not mentioned. So I think there are
no way to exchange e-mail with them.

  So If you want this list, you had better ask in comp.mail.misc or
look into your spool.

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec20.213436.12706@svc.portal.com> daven@svc.portal.com writes:
[concerning email gateways in and out of America Online]
>Nope, there are many things I like about AOL, but this is not one of them.
>They seem to believe in closed worlds. The parent company "Quantum" (not
>related to the drive manufacture) runs 3 other online services, and as
>far as I can tell they are all closed Email systems.

I recently received a note from AOL management that indicated they were
either considering, or had solid plans for, an email gateway to the outside
world. It looks like this feature may be coming soon.

I urge AOL subscribers who would be interested in this capability to
make their wishes known to AOL customer service.
--
========= jeanne a. e. devoto ========================================
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a

daven@svc.portal.com (12/22/90)

In article <47535@apple.Apple.COM> jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) writes:
>I recently received a note from AOL management that indicated they were
>either considering, or had solid plans for, an email gateway to the outside
>world. It looks like this feature may be coming soon.
>
>I urge AOL subscribers who would be interested in this capability to
>make their wishes known to AOL customer service.

I know that they've been taking a bit of heat about it on AOL, both in the
public forums, and in the sysop only forums as well. Odd that they haven't
mentioned anything to the sysops about the gateway, that or I missed the
post, which is highly likely.

Thanks for the news!