[comp.sys.mac.comm] where did 132

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (12/21/90)

John DeRosa, uunet!motcid!derosaj, in an article writes:

> BTW, where did 132 come from?  Looks like a number that
> someone pulled from mid-air like 5280 feet in a mile or 2.5
> inches in a British Nail (gawd, I love the CRC).

in text based systems, using mono-spaced text, and the standard (Ha-ha) eight
inch wide paper of the teletype, there were 80 characters in a standard
10-pitch line; 96 in a 12-pitch line.  (these were known as pica and elite,
respectively.) Compressed type was printed at 16.5 characters per inch.
Voila!!

16.5(cpi) X 8(inches per line) = 132 characters per line.
| Rick McCormack |  IMAGISTICS BUSINESS THEATRE TECHNOLOGY    |
| Vancouver,  BC |  Information transfer - with a purpose.    |
|     CANADA     |  ________________________________________  |
|  AOL:  Rique   |  INTERACTIVE  COMPREHENSIVE  ENLIGHTENING  |
|________________|____________________________________________|

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (12/22/90)

in an article. Marc T. Kaufman, (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu) says:

> When 132 column printout originated, there were no
> "compressed" teletypes. 132 characters, at 10 characters per
> inch (pica spacing), is just under 13.2" wide.  This is
> (almost) the most printing that you can get on 14" wide
> tractor-feed paper... of the kind used in the IBM 1403
> printer.  Older, drum based 402 printers, could only print
> 120 characters across.  132 is also a multiple of 12, which
> just happens to be the bit-width of an IBM 704x or 709x data
> channel (this is useful for printers that are loaded by row,
> rather than by column).  132 is also 6 x 22.  Each 7090 word
> held 6 characters (6 bits per character).  132 character
> screen displays were invented specifically to be able to
> view an entire print line at once.

However, I checked back into the stuff I learned back in 1966 from the Canadian
Pacific Telecommunications  course I took.  In my original reply, I stated > in
text based systems, using mono-spaced text, and the
> standard (Ha-ha) eight inch wide paper of the teletype,
> there were 80 characters in a standard 10-pitch line; 96 in
> a 12-pitch line.  (these were known as pica and elite,
> respectively.) Compressed type was printed at 16.5
> characters per inch. Voila!!
  I goofed.  According to my notes made at the time, the poaper width of which
I spoke was for TELEX, not TELETYPE.  The Telex machines we used in the field
offices used a compressed spacing between letters for the 132 characters per
line printing, yielding the 132 chars per line I mention.

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (12/23/90)

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)