[comp.sys.mac.comm] modems, macs, and unix

andre@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Andre Srinivasan) (12/26/90)

ok, so i finally wired a phone jack for my mac and want to dial into the
local unix box.  i read the macuser 2400 baud modem review and am NOT going
to pay $200+ just because the modem is packaged for the mac. come on, i see
the same modem in a pc magazine for >$150, this is ridiculous.

so i need some advice:  what modem (of the countless billions) should i
buy?  i am willing to pay a little more for quality, but not simply because
the modem is sold by a mac house.

software:  anybody use something that's inexpensive that does a nice job of
talking to the csh (unlike red ryder where i need to hit option-u twice)?

finally, the cable: i have a cable from macwarehouse that works fine with
my 1200 baud modem.  can i visually tell if it's set up for hardware
handshakeing?

thanks.

								-andre

lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Leonard M. Riggins) (12/27/90)

In article <73801@unix.cis.pitt.edu> andre@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Andre  Srinivasan) writes:
>ok, so i finally wired a phone jack for my mac and want to dial into the
>local unix box.  i read the macuser 2400 baud modem review and am NOT going
>to pay $200+ just because the modem is packaged for the mac. come on, i see
>the same modem in a pc magazine for >$150, this is ridiculous.

Well, maybe it's not ridiculous if you don't have the cable and telecomm
software.  There's been a lot of traffic here about the outrageous cost of
cables.  And the comm apps aren't cheap either.  You can put it together
yourself (which I recommend) or let the mail-order house do it for you.
It'll cost about the same.

>so i need some advice:  what modem (of the countless billions) should i
>buy?  i am willing to pay a little more for quality, but not simply because
>the modem is sold by a mac house.

Well, I didn't read the review, but some of the things I'd look for are
v.42/v.42bis/MNP capability.  Your UNIX box may not have that kind of
dial-in now, but maybe soon?  Also, a lot of the USR HST's on BBS's have
v.42 capability even at 2400/1200 baud.  It's worth a 20% improvement
even on compressed files.

>software:  anybody use something that's inexpensive that does a nice job of
>talking to the csh (unlike red ryder where i need to hit option-u twice)?

A lot of folks recommend ZTerm 0.85 and it IS great for BBSing.  However,
it's VT100 emulation leaves a lot to be desired!  MacKermit has pretty
good emulation (and the price is right - PD) but the Kermit transfer protocol
is a lot slower.  However, some UNIX boxes can only deal with Kermit.
Microphone is the Rolls-Royce of Mac telecomm packages.  Powerful, yet
follows the Mac interface even when doing exotic things.  Supports HyperCard
XCMDs, scripts, you name it.  However, it is very expensive. $2XX mail-order.
VersaTerm (or the more expensive VT-PRO) has excellent emulation but last
I checked it only supported Xmodem and Kermit transfers.  Regular VT is about
$80 mail-order, I believe.  Personally, I use White Knight.  I never liked
it's interface, but it does really good emulation and supports X,Y,Zmodem
as well as Kermit.  I believe it's as powerful as Microphone, but when you
do anything really exotic, you're more or less in the "hacker" mode...
as long as you are familiar with telecomm stuff, this isn't a problem.  And
it is a lot cheaper than Microphone.  (I'm not sure why you have to hit
Ctrl-U twice with Red Ryder)  I have all kinds of WK Scripts that log me
in and work with shell scripts to do things.

>finally, the cable: i have a cable from macwarehouse that works fine with
>my 1200 baud modem.  can i visually tell if it's set up for hardware
>handshakeing?
>
>thanks.
>
>								-andre

you're welcom.

--
Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (12/27/90)

In article <73801@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, andre@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Andre  Srinivasan) writes:

> ok, so i finally wired a phone jack for my mac and want to dial into the
> local unix box.  i read the macuser 2400 baud modem review and am NOT going
> to pay $200+ just because the modem is packaged for the mac. come on, i see
> the same modem in a pc magazine for >$150, this is ridiculous.
>
> so i need some advice:  what modem (of the countless billions) should i
> buy?  i am willing to pay a little more for quality, but not simply because
> the modem is sold by a mac house.

I've been happy with my TelePort modem from Global Village.  It's a nice 2400 baud
modem with MNP and it's got one extra special feature:  it does't use up
my modem port!  It plugs into the ADB port (so don't get it if you
have a Plus). It also don't require extra power - it gets its power
from the ADB (just like your keyboard doesn't have an extra power
cord).

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   {apple,decwrl}!claris!outpost!peirce
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

kanefsky@cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) (12/27/90)

In article <1829@blackbird.afit.af.mil> lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Leonard M. Riggins) writes:

>A lot of folks recommend ZTerm 0.85 and it IS great for BBSing.  However,
>it's VT100 emulation leaves a lot to be desired!  MacKermit has pretty
>good emulation (and the price is right - PD) but the Kermit transfer protocol
>is a lot slower.  However, some UNIX boxes can only deal with Kermit.
>Microphone is the Rolls-Royce of Mac telecomm packages.  Powerful, yet
>follows the Mac interface even when doing exotic things.  Supports HyperCard
>XCMDs, scripts, you name it.  However, it is very expensive. $2XX mail-order.

If you have access to an educational discount program, you may be able to
get MicroPhone II for a good deal less than the $200+ typical mail order
price.  I paid $75 for MicroPhone II version 3.0 through the University
of Minnesota educational discount program, and it appears to be identical
to the non-educational version (the program itself, manuals, packaging,
etc.)

--
Steve Kanefsky
kanefsky@cs.umn.edu

lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) (12/27/90)

In article <1990Dec26.205508.5483@cs.umn.edu> kanefsky@cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) writes:

|If you have access to an educational discount program, you may be able to
|get MicroPhone II for a good deal less than the $200+ typical mail order
|price.  I paid $75 for MicroPhone II version 3.0 through the University
|of Minnesota educational discount program, and it appears to be identical
|to the non-educational version (the program itself, manuals, packaging,
|etc.)

ARRGGGHHHH! I forgot to even check with Software Ventures on educational
pricing!  I should've known better, since I get so much other stuff that
way.  Microphone II really is slick, if a bit jerky at 19200 baud.

Nevertheless, I'm gonna go pound my head on the wall awhile.

--

Michael.Peirce@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Peirce) (12/27/90)

writes:

> ok, so i finally wired a phone jack for my mac and want to dial into the
> local unix box.  i read the macuser 2400 baud modem review and am NOT going
> to pay $200+ just because the modem is packaged for the mac. come on, i see
> the same modem in a pc magazine for >$150, this is ridiculous.
>
> so i need some advice:  what modem (of the countless billions) should i
> buy?  i am willing to pay a little more for quality, but not simply because
> the modem is sold by a mac house.

I've been happy with my TelePort modem from Global Village.  It's a nice 2400
baud
modem with MNP and it's got one extra special feature:  it does't use up
my modem port!  It plugs into the ADB port (so don't get it if you
have a Plus). It also don't require extra power - it gets its power
from the ADB (just like your keyboard doesn't have an extra power
cord).

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   {apple,decwrl}!claris!outpost!peirce
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

--
Michael Peirce - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Michael.Peirce

Steve.Kanefsky@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Steve Kanefsky) (12/27/90)

M. Riggins) writes:

>A lot of folks recommend ZTerm 0.85 and it IS great for BBSing.  However,
>it's VT100 emulation leaves a lot to be desired!  MacKermit has pretty
>good emulation (and the price is right - PD) but the Kermit transfer protocol
>is a lot slower.  However, some UNIX boxes can only deal with Kermit.
>Microphone is the Rolls-Royce of Mac telecomm packages.  Powerful, yet
>follows the Mac interface even when doing exotic things.  Supports HyperCard
>XCMDs, scripts, you name it.  However, it is very expensive. $2XX mail-order.

If you have access to an educational discount program, you may be able to
get MicroPhone II for a good deal less than the $200+ typical mail order
price.  I paid $75 for MicroPhone II version 3.0 through the University
of Minnesota educational discount program, and it appears to be identical
to the non-educational version (the program itself, manuals, packaging,
etc.)

--
Steve Kanefsky
kanefsky@cs.umn.edu

--
Steve Kanefsky - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Steve.Kanefsky

L..Maurice.Riggins@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (L. Maurice Riggins) (12/27/90)

In article <1990Dec26.205508.5483@cs.umn.edu> kanefsky@cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky)
writes:

IIf you have access to an educational discount program, you may be able to
Iget MicroPhone II for a good deal less than the $200+ typical mail order
Iprice.  I paid $75 for MicroPhone II version 3.0 through the University
Iof Minnesota educational discount program, and it appears to be identical
Ito the non-educational version (the program itself, manuals, packaging,
Ietc.)

ARRGGGHHHH! I forgot to even check with Software Ventures on educational
pricing!  I should've known better, since I get so much other stuff that
way.  Microphone II really is slick, if a bit jerky at 19200 baud.

Nevertheless, I'm gonna go pound my head on the wall awhile.

--
Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

--
L. Maurice Riggins - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!L..Maurice.Riggins

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (12/27/90)

In article <1829@blackbird.afit.af.mil>, lriggins@blackbird (Leonard M. Riggins) writes:
>VersaTerm (or the more expensive VT-PRO) has excellent emulation but last
>I checked it only supported Xmodem and Kermit transfers.  Regular VT is about
>$80 mail-order, I believe.

Just a small correction:  Versaterm supports Ymodem as well.  I find
that 1K block Ymodem transfers give me nearly the same efficiency as
Zmodem transfers, and the program is more reliable than ZTerm.  And it
has near-perfect VT220 emulation.

But there's only the most rudimentary scripting -- sufficient to get
you logged in, but not much more.  Still, it's small and fast, and the
price is right.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

Steve.Baumgarten@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Steve Baumgarten) (12/28/90)

writes:
>VersaTerm (or the more expensive VT-PRO) has excellent emulation but last
>I checked it only supported Xmodem and Kermit transfers.  Regular VT is about
>$80 mail-order, I believe.

Just a small correction:  Versaterm supports Ymodem as well.  I find
that 1K block Ymodem transfers give me nearly the same efficiency as
Zmodem transfers, and the program is more reliable than ZTerm.  And it
has near-perfect VT220 emulation.

But there's only the most rudimentary scripting -- sufficient to get
you logged in, but not much more.  Still, it's small and fast, and the
price is right.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             I "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        I  remember, we were way ahead of you."

--
Steve Baumgarten - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Steve.Baumgarten