[comp.sys.mac.comm] TelNet Wider Than 80 Columns?

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (12/22/90)

Is it possible to make a telnet
session window wide enough to allow
seeing more than 80 columns?

I would like to be able to edit
flat files that run to 132
columns.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

BTW, the X in Xmas stands for
the greek letter X (chi), which
stands for Christ, therefore
Xmas means Christmas.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:

>Is it possible to make a telnet
>session window wide enough to allow
>seeing more than 80 columns?

Well, sure there is, when you get the
"open session" window, there is a
"configure" button.  Hit it and then
you can set all sorts of things for
this session, one of which is Columns,
which can be set to either 80 or 132.

BTW, where did 132 come from?  Looks like
a number that someone pulled from mid-air
like 5280 feet in a mile or 2.5 inches in
a British Nail (gawd, I love the CRC).
--

houlejm@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Jean-Marie Houle) (12/28/90)

In article <5464@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
> BTW, where did 132 come from?  Looks like
> a number that someone pulled from mid-air
> like 5280 feet in a mile or 2.5 inches in
> a British Nail (gawd, I love the CRC).

Before the Mac you would produce your computer outputs on fanfold paper
about 14 inches wide. At 10 characters per inch you could print 132
characters.

The VT100 terminal from DEC had an option to display at 132 char.
NCSATelnet and MacTerminal are VT100 emulators and support 132 characters.

Jean-Marie Houle                                  houlejm@ireq.hydro.qc.ca
Institut de recherche d'Hydro-Quebec              Tel (514) 652-8083
1800 Mtee Ste Julie                               Fax (514) 652-8435
Varennes, Quebec
Canada, J3X 1S1

Jean-Marie.Houle@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jean-Marie Houle) (12/28/90)

In article <5464@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
> BTW, where did 132 come from?  Looks like
> a number that someone pulled from mid-air
> like 5280 feet in a mile or 2.5 inches in
> a British Nail (gawd, I love the CRC).

Before the Mac you would produce your computer outputs on fanfold paper
about 14 inches wide. At 10 characters per inch you could print 132
characters.

The VT100 terminal from DEC had an option to display at 132 char.
NCSATelnet and MacTerminal are VT100 emulators and support 132 characters.

Jean-Marie Houle                                  houlejm@ireq.hydro.qc.ca
Institut de recherche d'Hydro-Quebec              Tel (514) 652-8083
1800 Mtee Ste Julie                               Fax (514) 652-8435
Varennes, Quebec
Canada, J3X 1S1

--
Jean-Marie Houle - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Jean-Marie.Houle