[comp.sys.mac.comm] MacTCP Install Help!

vogt@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Vogt) (12/28/90)

Help!

I've been pulling my hair out for two days.  How do I configure MacTCP.
Installing it was cake, but using it is another matter.  I have external
hosts defined in it, but how do I determine what the gateway address is?
How do I determine what my address is?

Thanks for the help!
-Mike (vogt@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)

Michael.Vogt@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Vogt) (12/28/90)

--
Michael Vogt - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Michael.Vogt

mst@mx.csun.edu (Mike Temkin) (12/29/90)

In article <1990Dec27.181345.25782@news.cs.indiana.edu> vogt@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Vogt) writes:
>Help!
>
>I've been pulling my hair out for two days.  How do I configure MacTCP.
>Installing it was cake, but using it is another matter.  I have external
>hosts defined in it, but how do I determine what the gateway address is?
>How do I determine what my address is?
>
>Thanks for the help!
>-Mike (vogt@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)

If you don't know what your IP address should be, DON'T INSTALL THIS YOURSELF.
Since I see you are at Indiana University, contact the network administrator
in the Computing Services department.  They should be able to get you set up.
Trying to give your Mac a *random* address on the network could wreak terrible
havoc on the network.

If you contact them and cannot get any help, post again, or you can call me
here at CSUN.  I have installed MacTCP on Macs in both labs and offices.

Mike.

--
Mike Temkin
mst@csun.edu

Mike.Temkin@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Temkin) (12/29/90)

From: mst@mx.csun.edu

(Michael Vogt) writes:
>Help!
>
>I've been pulling my hair out for two days.  How do I configure MacTCP.
>Installing it was cake, but using it is another matter.  I have external
>hosts defined in it, but how do I determine what the gateway address is?
>How do I determine what my address is?
>
>Thanks for the help!
>-Mike (vogt@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)

If you don't know what your IP address should be, DON'T INSTALL THIS YOURSELF.
Since I see you are at Indiana University, contact the network administrator
in the Computing Services department.  They should be able to get you set up.
Trying to give your Mac a *random* address on the network could wreak terrible
havoc on the network.

If you contact them and cannot get any help, post again, or you can call me
here at CSUN.  I have installed MacTCP on Macs in both labs and offices.

Mike.

--
Mike Temkin
mst@csun.edu
Cal. State U. Northridge, School of Engineering and Computer Science
Voice phone: (818) 885-3919

--
Mike Temkin - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Mike.Temkin