[comp.sys.mac.comm] Need Mac COMMUNICATIONS s/ware for unattended file transfers: WHICH ONE?

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (12/31/90)

In article <7276@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, lsh@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Tsuma Kavazi)
writes...
>In article <40225@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
>>Timbuktu and Carbon-Copy Mac provide some...features at a...price.
>
>I agree that Okyoto is cheaper, but do you need two copies of it for two
>computers communicating with each other?

Yes.  Okyto uses a "multiplexed error correcting protocol" in lieu of the
the traditional single channel scheme.  (I am just quoting the manual.)
In English this means that it uses a special protocol that allows it
to "broadcast and receive over five channels simultaneously."  It is not
just x,y, or zmodem with a trick user interface.

[ In order to answer a question that was made a few times by e-mail,
it can be configured easily with "multi-level password protection" --
I must have given the impression that an Okyto session was something
akin to 'dropping all shields' in the neutral zone. ;-)  Many WK/Okyto
users are holdovers from the 'old' days of ... er, non-commercial,
interpersonal telecommunications' <grin>;  sometimes the manuals seem to
emphasize or reflect the "hacker" potential over business applications.]

>If not does anybody have a copy they could sell me, Okyoto alone, since
>I use VersaTerm and have no need for WhiteKnight.

How to get Okyto without becoming a registered White Knight user:

Stand-alone copies of Okyto are available for $39.95 from the FreeSoft
Company; 150 Hickory Drive, Beaver Falls, PA  15010, (412) 846-2700.
Of course, life without White Knight is hopelessly primitive and dismal;
so I strongly urge you to dig deep to come up with the small fortune
($75 to $95 depending on your choice of mail-order house) to get WK 11.10.

Necessary Evil department:  the License states that "each licensed copy
should not reside or execute on more than one Macintosh computer at a
time".  This is a legal issue only:  Okyto and WK are not copy-protected.

Personally, I would try to audition before buying; it shouldn't be difficult
to find a local Red Ryder/White Knight user who would happily arrange a demo.
AppleTalk networks or local telephone calls make for simple, cheap testing.

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)
-- 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949 <-- voice
-- My "Okyto" number is (302)731-1682 (if anyone who hasn't tried
-- their Okyto yet would like a brief demo -- it's your nickel ...)