[comp.sys.mac.comm] Microsoft Mail to internet gateway - Info Requested

fore@athena.cs.uga.edu (Howard Fore) (01/02/91)

The subject line says it all. I have Microsoft Mail and I vaguely remember
something about the existence of a MM to Internet gateway. But that is
literally all I remember. How does this work? How can I get it if does actually
exist? Help! Help!

Howard Fore   fore@athena.cs.uga.edu    (128.192.4.49)

rgoldstone@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU (Robin Goldstone) (01/03/91)

In article <1991Jan2.145313.5741@athena.cs.uga.edu>, fore@athena.cs.uga.edu
(Howard Fore) writes:
>The subject line says it all. I have Microsoft Mail and I vaguely remember
>something about the existence of a MM to Internet gateway. But that is
>literally all I remember. How does this work? How can I get it if does actually
>exist? Help! Help!

The product that does this is GatorMail-M by Cayman Systems.  It is actually
a gateway between Microsoft Mail and SMTP, which is the mail protocol used on
Internet.  GatorMail-M gets installed on one of your MS Mail servers, along
with Apple's MacTCP.  The MS Mail address screen gets modified to include a
place for you to enter Internet-style addresses.  When you click "Send", your
message is sent to the GatorMail-M software, which then converts your message
from MS Mail format to SMTP and sends it out onto the Internet via MacTCP.
Of course, it is required that your Mac network have some sort of ethernet
connection (GatorBox, FastPath, etc.) and that your ethernet network is
connected to the Internet.

We have been running GatorMail-M for several months now and it works quite
well.  The above explanation on how GatorMail works is quite general.  I
can elaborate for anyone who is interested, or else call Cayman.

Cayman can be reached at (617) 494-1999 in Cambridge, MA.
Robin Goldstone, California State University, Chico  Computing Services
rgoldstone@oavax.csuchico.edu

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (01/03/91)

In article <00942191.BF10C960@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU> rgoldstone@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU (Robin Goldstone) writes:

   We have been running GatorMail-M for several months now and it works quite
   well.  The above explanation on how GatorMail works is quite general.  I
   can elaborate for anyone who is interested, or else call Cayman.

We have been using GatorMail-M also. Warning - do not use SAM on a
Microsoft Mail Server along with GatorMail-M. It corrupts the mail
database.
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett