[comp.sys.mac.comm] Re- .ZIP zip

mha@memory.UUCP (Mark H. Anbinder) (01/04/91)

Subject:   Re: .ZIP zip                          QuickMail Reply
In article <4780@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, ehanson@umbc2.umbc.edu (Mr. Erik Hanson;
ARTS-SCI (UG)) writes:

> In article <27825F17.1897@orion.oac.uci.edu>,
> ggiergiel@vmsa.oac.uci.edu writes...
>>What's the meaning of .ZIP file extension on CompuServe.
>
> And how can one extract data from a .ZIP file for use on a Macintosh?

The .ZIP file extension indicates an archive that was created, most likely on
an MS-DOS computer, in the format used by PKZIP, a file compression utility on
the PC that's based on the same concept as StuffIt on the Mac.  It compresses
files, and allows you to pack multiple files into a single archive file.

There are lots of utilities available for the Macintosh that will unZIP a file.
 Among them is UnZip, a free (shareware?) utility that does ONLY that.  StuffIt
Deluxe, the commercial version of StuffIt from Aladdin Systems, is able both to
create and expand .ZIP archives.

If all you need to do is unZIP files, you can download UnZip 1.01 from Memory
Alpha BBS, at 607-257-5822.

--
Mark H. Anbinder                   mha@memory.uucp
1063 Warren Road #6                607-257-3480