[comp.sys.mac.comm] Modems Illegal in Switzerland?

andy@gistdev.gist.com (Andy Warinner) (01/04/91)

Thanks to everyone who helped me with with my questions about taking a
Mac to Switzerland.  I have another question.

I just purchased a Teleport 2400 baud modem (it uses an ADB port so there
no external power supply to worry about).  When I asked my wife's
employer in Switzerland about using it in Switzerland, they said that
modems were illegal in Switzerland.  Is this true?  Is it one of those
laws that is never enforced and only meant to guard the phone company
monopoly?  Will I do hard time if I get nabbed? :-)

BTW, the modem has a send fax capability.  Can I use it to send faxes
in Switzerland?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Warinner | "Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere"
GIST, Inc.      |
Standard        | EMAIL:  andy@gistdev.gist.com
disclaimer...   |         {uunet, uiucuxc}!gistdev!andy

abennett@athena.mit.edu (Andrew Bennett) (01/05/91)

In article <1044@gistdev.gist.com>, andy@gistdev.gist.com (Andy Warinner) writes:

|> I just purchased a Teleport 2400 baud modem (it uses an ADB port so there
|> no external power supply to worry about).  When I asked my wife's
|> employer in Switzerland about using it in Switzerland, they said that
|> modems were illegal in Switzerland.  Is this true?  Is it one of those
|> laws that is never enforced and only meant to guard the phone company
|> monopoly?  Will I do hard time if I get nabbed? :-)
|>
|> BTW, the modem has a send fax capability.  Can I use it to send faxes
|> in Switzerland?

In Switzerland and Germany modems, phones, answering machines etc. must all be
approved by the telecommunications ministry before you can use it.  Basically,
that means that you can only use those devices that are pre-approved (there will
be a sticker on the bottom/back).

I don't know what they're looking for when they 'approve' such devices, I've
'heard about' modems, faxes and answering machines in both countries that are
not officially approved, and they work fine...

Possibly a remnant of WWII/Cold War?

-Drew

--
Andrew Bennett          abennett@mit.edu
MIT Room 11-124H        abennett%athena@mitvma.bitnet

In article <1991Jan4.220510.4698@athena.mit.edu> abennett@athena.mit.edu (Andrew Bennett) writes:
>In article <1044@gistdev.gist.com>, andy@gistdev.gist.com (Andy Warinner) writes:
>|>
>|> I just purchased a Teleport 2400 baud modem (it uses an ADB port so there
>|> no external power supply to worry about).  When I asked my wife's
>|> employer in Switzerland about using it in Switzerland, they said that
>|> modems were illegal in Switzerland.  Is this true?  Is it one of those
>|> laws that is never enforced and only meant to guard the phone company
>|> monopoly?  Will I do hard time if I get nabbed? :-)
>|>
>|> BTW, the modem has a send fax capability.  Can I use it to send faxes
>|> in Switzerland?
>|>

>In Switzerland and Germany modems, phones, answering machines etc. must all be
>approved by the telecommunications ministry before you can use it.  Basically,
>that means that you can only use those devices that are pre-approved (there will
>be a sticker on the bottom/back).
>
>I don't know what they're looking for when they 'approve' such devices, I've
>'heard about' modems, faxes and answering machines in both countries that are
>not officially approved, and they work fine...
>
>Possibly a remnant of WWII/Cold War?

Until recentl (around 1984), this was true in the USA as well--  you actually
had to call a number and tell them the FCC numbers and REN numbers on any
device you connected to the line.  (a rule widely disregarded...)