[comp.sys.mac.comm] Mac-X, suppressing the window manager.

dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu (DAVID HOYT) (01/09/91)

  Is there anyway to turn off the window manager for Mac-X?  So that Motif
windows look like Motif windows and not Mac windows?  Also, is there a way
to have the keyboard be a Dec keyboard?  I.e. PF1-PF4 are at the top of the
keypad, E1-E6 are just above the arrow keys, etc?

david | dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu | dhoyt@umnacvx.bitnet

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (01/09/91)

In article <3005@ux.acs.umn.edu> dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu (DAVID HOYT) writes:
> Is there anyway to turn off the window manager for Mac-X?  So that Motif
> windows look like Motif windows and not Mac windows?

You have set your connection so that the MacX window server also provides
a window manager. In MacX parlance, this is called "rootless" display
mode. What you want is "rooted" display mode. Then you can run the Motif
Window Manager (mwm).

Under the Remote menu, select Edit Command... and Edit the remote
command(s). In the Edit Remote Command dialog there is a pop-up called
Display: that is used to set Color or B&W Rooted or Rootless modes.

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000