[comp.sys.mac.comm] Mac based mail and news readers

mudpit@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (dan quoidbach) (01/04/91)

Sorry if this has been talked to death, but I just got back from a three
month research trip and may have missed the whole show. Could someone tell
me where I can get a program to read/post news/mail from a mac to the net?
I've heard of something called MEWS but don't know where to find it. It
doesn't seem to be at sumex-aim. Please send advice/comments/jokes to:

mudpit@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu

Thanks a bunch!

Dan Quoidbach
Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory
Palisades, NY 10964

makmur@paul.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) (01/08/91)

>Sorry if this has been talked to death, but I just got back from a
>three month research trip and may have missed the whole show. Could someone
>tell me where I can get a program to read/post news/mail from a mac to the
>net? I've heard of something called MEWS but don't know where to find it.
>It doesn't seem to be at sumex-aim. Please send advice/comments/jokes to:

yes there is a new program called TheNews. It is relatively good and a
lot better compared to the hypercard based news readers. you can get
this program from sumex.

YOu can also get a Mac based mail program  called MacPost. It is very
good  and free. I and 30 other people here have been using it for over
3 months now. YOu can also get this program in sumex.
----

Hanz Makmur
Rutgers University

ehanson@umbc1.umbc.edu (Mr. Erik Hanson; ARTS-SCI (UG)) (01/09/91)

makmur@paul.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) writes...
>>Sorry if this has been talked to death, but I just got back from a
>>three month research trip and may have missed the whole show. Could someone
>>tell me where I can get a program to read/post news/mail from a mac to the
>>net? I've heard of something called MEWS but don't know where to find it.
>>It doesn't seem to be at sumex-aim. Please send advice/comments/jokes to:
>
>yes there is a new program called TheNews. It is relatively good and a
>lot better compared to the hypercard based news readers. you can get
>this program from sumex.

Doesn't this program (and other similar programs) require ethernet connection
or something? Are there any that work over a modem?

>Hanz Makmur
>Rutgers University

seeya!

Erik Hanson   University of Maryland, Baltimore County   ehanson@umbc2.umbc.edu
     "Forever searching for C source for simple terminal/modem programs"

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (01/09/91)

In article <4812@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> ehanson@umbc1.umbc.edu writes:
>>>tell me where I can get a program to read/post news/mail from a mac to the
>>>net?
>Doesn't this program (and other similar programs) require ethernet connection
>or something? Are there any that work over a modem?

Intercon's products will work over SLIP connections.  They have news and mail,
among other things.

My own mail program (*mail*, not news) will also work over a modem.  It's
called Eudora, and is available by anonymous ftp to ux1.cso.uiuc.edu, in
the mac/eudora subdirectory.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

odell@buitc.bu.edu (Jim O'Dell) (01/09/91)

In article <4812@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> ehanson@umbc1.umbc.edu writes:
>makmur@paul.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) writes...
>>>Sorry if this has been talked to death, but I just got back from a
>>>three month research trip and may have missed the whole show. Could someone
>>>tell me where I can get a program to read/post news/mail from a mac to the
>>>net? I've heard of something called MEWS but don't know where to find it.
>>>It doesn't seem to be at sumex-aim. Please send advice/comments/jokes to:
>>
>>yes there is a new program called TheNews. It is relatively good and a
>>lot better compared to the hypercard based news readers. you can get
>>this program from sumex.
>
>Doesn't this program (and other similar programs) require ethernet connection
>or something? Are there any that work over a modem?

Mac/gnuucp works over a modem using the UUCP protocol.
Right now it only does mail, but if there were enough interest
I wiould be willing to consider a rnews port.

Version 4.6 is no in beta test and will be posted to the net
in the next few weeks assuming no major problems.

Jim
jim@fpr.com

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (01/10/91)

In article <4812@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, ehanson@umbc1.umbc.edu (Mr. Erik Hanson; ARTS-SCI (UG)) writes:

> makmur@paul.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) writes...
> >>tell me where I can get a program to read/post news/mail from a mac to the
> >>net?
> >
> Doesn't this program (and other similar programs) require ethernet connection
> or something? Are there any that work over a modem?

ICE Engineering sells a commercial UUCP mail and news product for
the Macintosh that runs over serial, modem, and network connections.
Mail "info@ice.com" for more information.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288