[comp.sys.mac.comm] How to FTP

Cole Bader (01/09/91)

ok.  A dumb question from a fairly new net-user:  How do I FTP programs from an
anonymous account?  Step-by-step examples would be best.  What program should I
use to do this?  I've got TheNews, Eudora, NCSA Telnet, Brown tn3270, RedRyder
10.3, etc.  Any help?  Thanks!

--Cole Bader
crbader@dorms.princeton.edu
---------------------------

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (lanett mark) (01/11/91)

Cole Bader writes:

>ok.  A dumb question from a fairly new net-user:  How do I FTP programs from an
>anonymous account?  Step-by-step examples would be best.  What program should I
>use to do this?  I've got TheNews, Eudora, NCSA Telnet, Brown tn3270, RedRyder
>10.3, etc.  Any help?  Thanks!

No dumb question: I had the same one not too long ago. Ok:

Best is to use Telnet. Open a session with a machine you have an account on.
If you intend to download large files, be aware that student accounts
have quota restrictions of, say, 100k, too little for serious ftp-ing.
Most unix machines have a public, no-quota, area available as /tmp. CD to
/tmp and create a directory there for yourself (cd /tmp; mkdir /myftp; cd
myftp).

Now enter "ftp sumex-aim.stanford.edu" (or whatever site you want). Ftp
will connect and ask for a login: enter "anonymous". For the password
enter your own login (in my case  "ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu"), though
it really doesn't care what you type--this is only for courtesy.

Unix-style commands like "ls" and "cd" exists in Ftp. When you find a file
you want, type "get filename" to retrieve it. If the file is not binhexed or
ascii text, send the "binary" command sometime before this. Also, if you
are not downloading Mac-specific binaries (like GIF files) make sure
MacBinary is turned off (under File in Telnet). The command  "mget" allows
wildcards, so "mget solarian*" will retrieve all three solarian files. Oh
yes: To cd back up type "cdup"--"cd .." won't work.

Exit with "bye" or "quit".

Now that the files are on your personal account, you must use ftp _again_
to get them to floppy. This time use Telnet's "Send FTP Command" command
(command-F), which will establish a connection to your _mac_. "Enable FTP"
under File must be turned on. You can now send the files in the same way
to your mac (use command-D to choose the receive folder). Note that since
you are running ftp from the unix machine the perspective is reversed--
you must type "put filename" or "mput filename" to send files to the mac
_from_ the unix machine.

"Send" is a synonym for "put"; you can see other commands by typing
"help" while within ftp, "help command" for detailed info. You might
also want to read the man pages.

I also have a nice hypercard FTP stack--mail me if you want it. It's easier
than any other method (but I don't have it with me right now).

Related note: there is a telnet site which maintains lists of all anon-ftp
sites. Use "rlogin quiche.cs.mcgill.ca -l archie" to enter it. This site,
Archie, allows you to search all ftp sites for a specific file or get a
complete listing of any one site.

Mark Lanett

Mark Lanett