[comp.sys.mac.comm] ADB current limits and TelePort modem

sead142@ut-emx.uucp (Larry Smith) (01/16/91)

I have heard great things about Global Village's TelePort modem
that plugs into the ADB port.  My only concern before buying one
is power consumption.  The mac reference manual bundled with all
macs says the ADB can supply 500 milliamps but the manual specific
to my new LC says the total ADB current draw must not exceed 200 mA.
The manual says the keyboard consumes 25 mA and the mouse 80 mA so
I'm hoping the modem doesn't use more than about 80 mA.  Does anyone
know how much the TelePort actually consumes?  Does anyone know which
of my manuals is in error?  Does the new (cheap) Taiwanese mouse
really draw 80 mA?  Does the standard keyboard bundled with the LC
draw 25 mA (even without LEDs)?  Does this mean I won't be able to
upgrade to an extended keyboard due to power limitations?

Thanks in advance,

Larry Smith
bitnet: LARRY@UTAPHY
internet: sead142@emx.utexas.edu

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (01/17/91)

In article <42617@ut-emx.uucp>, sead142@ut-emx.uucp (Larry Smith) writes:

> I have heard great things about Global Village's TelePort modem
> that plugs into the ADB port.  My only concern before buying one
> is power consumption.  The mac reference manual bundled with all
> macs says the ADB can supply 500 milliamps but the manual specific
> to my new LC says the total ADB current draw must not exceed 200 mA.
> The manual says the keyboard consumes 25 mA and the mouse 80 mA so
> I'm hoping the modem doesn't use more than about 80 mA.  Does anyone
> know how much the TelePort actually consumes?

According to the Teleport modem manual it draws 135mAmp.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE