[comp.sys.mac.comm] default setup keys in

horowitz@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Frank Horowitz) (01/13/91)

This may be a FAQ, but I've managed to miss the answers :-) I'm an emacs
user who would like to have ^c, ^s, and ^q passed through by default to my
telnet connections (i.e. I do NOT want to muck with the "setup keys" dialog
each and every session I open).  TFM claims that this is possible via the
config.tel file, and that the documentation is available in chapter 8 of
(the July '89 version) the manual.  Chapter 8 is totally silent on the
matter of setup keys. Mucking around a little, I've found that an entry of
the form:

interrupt=" "

is recognized by the program, but one of the form:

interruptprocess=" "

produces an error message (i.e. I believe that 'interrupt' is the correct
keyword for the function that defaults to ^c).  However, I have been
unsuccessful in getting this keyword to accept a new default value.
Has anyone been successful in getting this to work?

I've sent e-mail to telbug@ncsa.uiuc.edu asking this very question, but a
finger of that account reveals that e-mail hasn't been read in months.

Please e-mail any responses and I'll summarize to the net if interest
warrants.

	Thanks in advance for any help you can give me...
		Frank Horowitz

hirchert@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Kurt Hirchert) (01/18/91)

In article <2547@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> horowitz@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Frank Horowitz) writes:
>This may be a FAQ, but I've managed to miss the answers :-) I'm an emacs
>user who would like to have ^c, ^s, and ^q passed through by default to my
>telnet connections (i.e. I do NOT want to muck with the "setup keys" dialog
>each and every session I open).  TFM claims that this is possible via the
>config.tel file, and that the documentation is available in chapter 8 of
>(the July '89 version) the manual.  Chapter 8 is totally silent on the
>matter of setup keys.

That's funny, in _my_ copy of the July 1989 NCSA Telnet manual, page 8.9
describes the  localkeys  parameter of the config.tel file.
   localkeys="{3,19,17}"
is the default.  (3=^c,19=^s,17=^q)
   localkeys=off
does what you want.
--
Kurt W. Hirchert     hirchert@ncsa.uiuc.edu

peregrin@hulaw1.harvard.edu (01/19/91)

In article <1991Jan17.222748.27633@ncsa.uiuc.edu>, hirchert@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Kurt Hirchert) writes:

> That's funny, in _my_ copy of the July 1989 NCSA Telnet manual, page 8.9
> describes the  localkeys  parameter of the config.tel file.
>    localkeys="{3,19,17}"
> is the default.  (3=^c,19=^s,17=^q)
>    localkeys=off
> does what you want.
> --

Hmm.  My copy of the NCSA Telnet manual (which I downloaded from NCSA this
summer), makes no mention of 'localkeys' on the above page.  In fact it has a
big white space on that page.

	But I'm glad I found the answer.  I'm an emacs user who's been pestered
by the same problem.  Thanks!

James Peregrino
Programmer/Analyst
Harvard Business School