[comp.sys.mac.comm] Transfer from Unix

asmith@sol.UVic.CA (Andrew Smith) (01/19/91)

Hello! I am using a Mac+ from home with a 2400bd. modem. I am logging on
to a Sun computer. I want to download files to my Plus, but Kermit is too
slow. I asked the admin. and they said Z-modem was possible, but they do
not support it and could not tell me how to access it. I have WhiteKnight
and Z-term. Is it possible for me to get files using Z-modem, and if so,
could someone please tell me what commands I need to use...
                     Thanks, Andy

topix@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (R. Munroe) (01/20/91)

In article <1991Jan19.085408.27890@sol.UVic.CA> asmith@sol.UVic.CA (Andrew Smith) writes:
>Hello! I am using a Mac+ from home with a 2400bd. modem. I am logging on
>to a Sun computer. I want to download files to my Plus, but Kermit is too
>slow. I asked the admin. and they said Z-modem was possible, but they do
>not support it and could not tell me how to access it. I have WhiteKnight
>and Z-term. Is it possible for me to get files using Z-modem, and if so,
>could someone please tell me what commands I need to use...
>                     Thanks, Andy

I use much the same configuration except I have a Mac SE and I dial into
a Silicon Graphics workstation.  Without a doubt, given your
configuration, zmodem is the protocol for you.  ftp to apple.apple.com
and download all of the files in /pub/ArchiveVol1/unix_util/zmodem.
Your system administrator or any C gal or guy should be able to compile
sz and rz on your Sun with no trouble.  The real nice thing about using
ZTerm on your Mac is that automatically signals your unix machine
when a file is being sent and it is automatically signaled by your unix
machine when a file is incoming.  Just a couple of notes:

- you must configure ZTerm to send the proper program name (i.e. rz) for when
it sends files.

- use binary (for binary files) or text modes (for ascii files) only when
sending/receiving files to/from your unix system.  Do not use MacBinary
format.

- ZTerm's vt100 emulator is good but not great.  You should be able
to do most things.  The most notable exception is vi.

Bob Munroe
topix@utcs.utoronto.ca

n074ez@tamuts.tamu.edu (Joe Bezdek) (01/21/91)

I had the same problem a few months ago.  Kermit was only giving me about 40%
efficiency and that just wasn't good enough.  Anyway, the info-mac archives
at sumex-aim.stanford.edu have in their /unix/ directory the source code
for zmodem for unix.  That's what I've been using ever since and have been
getting 95-98% efficiency :).

Joe

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (01/21/91)

n074ez@tamuts.tamu.edu (Joe Bezdek) writes:
>I had the same problem a few months ago.  Kermit was only giving me about 40%
>efficiency and that just wasn't good enough.  Anyway, the info-mac archives
>at sumex-aim.stanford.edu have in their /unix/ directory the source code
>for zmodem for unix.  That's what I've been using ever since and have been
>getting 95-98% efficiency :).

I showed one of my users Zmodem and this is what he says:
	You're right; zmodem is a God.

--
Brian Aslakson

aslakson@cs.umn.edu
mac-admin@cs.umn.edu  <-= Macintosh related

hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad Hedstrom) (01/21/91)

The UNIX side of Zmodem is available on sirius (and most other
Engineering machines), in /public/bin. You need sz (UNIX->Mac) and rz
(Mac->UNIX). Zterm and Zmodem are the only way to go unless you are
connected over LocalTalk.

cfejm@ux1.cts.eiu.edu (John Miller) (01/22/91)

I've been following the discussion about Z-term, Z-modem, etc.  I'm
not quite sure how one would set up such a transfer system, using
the programs.

Does one somehow interface them with the communications package
(Red Ryder, for example), or are they stand-alone?  Is there
a unix-side C program which needs to be compiled, etc.?

In short--anybody willing to post a step-by-step way to implement
the package.

Many thanks, in advance.

--
John