[comp.sys.mac.comm] Z-Term, Unix, and Mac

lingerke@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Ken Linger) (01/22/91)

Is anyone at Purdue using Z-Term on a Mac?  I am having problems getting mine
to work.  When I type sz filename, I get the unix message that it is ready to
send. My local computer (a Mac SE/30) automatically goes into receive mode
and there it waits. Forever. When I click cancel, it cancels Unixes sz and
in a second, I am back at my Unix prompt.

Is my modem/program filtering certain flow controls or what is going on? I've
been previously using Kermit which works, but it is very slow. Any help would
be, well, helpfull. Thank you.

Ken Linger
lingerke@mentor.cc

murdock@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Jon Kyle Murdock) (01/22/91)

I'm also having problems with zmodem. I try to download using sz and
Z-Term 0.85 and I start getting all kinds of CRC errors. Uploads work
great as well as Kermit downloads and uploads. I'm using a Mac SE/30
and a US Robotics 2400e modem. It has MNP level 3 error correction
which I have tried on and off to no avail. I would appreciate any help
or advice you can give. Thanks.
                                 Kyle Murdock
                                 murdock@matt.ksu.ksu.edu
                                 murdock@ksuvm.bitnet

rosen@cs.utexas.edu (Eric Carl Rosen) (01/22/91)

If you are experiencing recurring problems with a Zmodem transfer, I suggest
the following advice:

	o	confirm that you have an 8-bit connection to your host
		machine. If you are rlogin-ing somewhere, use the -8
		option to force an 8-bit connection.

	o	disable any software flow control; XON/XOFF is an example
		of software flow control that should be disabled. Similarly,
		disable any pre or post-processing of control characters
		and the like.

		If you are having handshaking problems, use hardware
		handshaking. Otherwise, use no flow control for the best
		average performance.

	o	if your problems seem to be related to line noise, and you
		can control the size of the zmodem blocks on the SENDING
		side, try smaller blocks

	o	if transfers seem to never get started, chances are you do
		not have an 8-bit connection and/or software handshaking is
		enabled

Hope this helps.

--Eric

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) (01/23/91)

|I'm also having problems with zmodem. I try to download using sz and
|Z-Term 0.85 and I start getting all kinds of CRC errors. Uploads work
|great as well as Kermit downloads and uploads. I'm using a Mac SE/30
|and a US Robotics 2400e modem. It has MNP level 3 error correction
|which I have tried on and off to no avail. I would appreciate any help
|or advice you can give. Thanks.

Hmm, you should all check your settings, and make sure that they are correct,
a I have NO PROBLEMS using Zmodem (or any other protocol for that matter), on
the local UNIX machine that I call.

Gary
---
    UUCP: ogicse!clark!pro-freedom!gsnow   | Pro-Freedom: 206/253-9389
 ProLine: gsnow@pro-freedom                | Vancouver, Wa
 ARPANet: crash!pro-freedom!gsnow@nosc.mil | Apple*Van
InterNet: gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com        | Vancouver Apple Users Group

barry@network.ucsd.edu (Barry Brown) (01/24/91)

In article <1052@levelland.cs.utexas.edu> rosen@cs.utexas.edu (Eric Carl Rosen) writes:
>If you are experiencing recurring problems with a Zmodem transfer, I suggest
>the following advice:
>  [advice deleted]

A very common fix is to turn on Zmodem windowing.  This is accomplished,
from the Unix prompt, with the -w option.  Initially, set the window
size to be 1024:

  sz -w 1024 filenames

However, you should experiment to determine the setting best for you.
The window size should be a multiple of 128.

Windowing seems to be absolutely required on BSD or BSD-derived operating
systems.

Another thing to add would be that telnet and rlogin do not, by default,
offer 8-bit-clean data paths.  Both programs eat certain characters.
Rlogin can, I think, be coaxed into giving you a clean data line with
the -8 option.

--
Barry E. Brown        --        \  Cal-Animage Beta publicity officer
bebrown@ucsd.{edu,uucp,bitnet}   \   Anime Stuff FTP Server administrator

jhansen@convex.com (James Hansen) (01/25/91)

In <1991Jan22.005845.10126@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> murdock@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Jon Kyle Murdock) writes:

>I'm also having problems with zmodem. I try to download using sz and
>Z-Term 0.85 and I start getting all kinds of CRC errors.

Sounds like the UNIX tty driver is dropping or chopping your data.
Try playing with the -w command switch on sz.  I have mine set to 8192
on a Convex system and it works fine.

	% alias sz '/usr/local/bin/sz -w 8192'

--
James B. Hansen                                  {sun,uunet}!convex!jhansen
CONVEX Computer Corporation                              jhansen@convex.COM

murdock@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Jon Kyle Murdock) (01/25/91)

In article <jhansen.664738159@convex.convex.com> jhansen@convex.com (James Hansen) writes:
>In <1991Jan22.005845.10126@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> murdock@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Jon Kyle Murdock) writes:
>
>>I'm also having problems with zmodem. I try to download using sz and
>>Z-Term 0.85 and I start getting all kinds of CRC errors.
>
>Sounds like the UNIX tty driver is dropping or chopping your data.
>Try playing with the -w command switch on sz.  I have mine set to 8192
>on a Convex system and it works fine.
>
>	% alias sz '/usr/local/bin/sz -w 8192'

  I tried this (except I set the window to 1024 as someone else suggested)
and it worked like a champ! 98% efficiency  :)
To all the people who posted and e-mailed me I owe my undying gratitude.  :)
					Thanks, Kyle