[comp.sys.mac.comm] How to mail Applelink

guven@pico.OZ (Guven Mercankosk) (01/11/91)

    I have got a friend who works for Bilkom - Apple Turkey, who can be
    accessible via AppleLink. I have got his AppleLink number as BILKOM/ITO112.

    When I tried sending him a message at the address

        BILKOM/ITO112@applelink.apple.com

    but the message has bounced back from MAILER-DEAMON%apple.com.

    What's the correct format of an applelink number. What may be wrong with
    the above address? Can anybody help?

    Thanks,
    Guven Mercankosk.

    E-mail address: g.mercankosk@qpsx.oz.au

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (01/11/91)

In article <592@pico.OZ>, guven@pico (Guven Mercankosk) writes:

>    I have got a friend who works for Bilkom - Apple Turkey, who can be
>    accessible via AppleLink. I have got his AppleLink number as BILKOM/ITO112.
>
>    When I tried sending him a message at the address
>
>        BILKOM/ITO112@applelink.apple.com
>
>    but the message has bounced back from MAILER-DEAMON%apple.com.
>
>    What's the correct format of an applelink number. What may be wrong with
>    the above address? Can anybody help?
>
>    Thanks,
>    Guven Mercankosk.
>
>    E-mail address: g.mercankosk@qpsx.oz.au

I would take a gander that the '/' is messing things up - here's what
apple.com told me:

GE's QUIK-COMM is the underlying E-mail system of AppleLink.
QUIK-COMM user names are similar to old style FORTRAN variable names:
They must begin in an alpha character, and consist of alphanumerics and
dot. They may end in a dollar sign to indicate group addresses (i.e. mailing
lists). They may be no longer than 12 characters. The following addresses
are not valid QUIK-COMM user names:

bilkom/ito112
bad address from anders@verity.com to bilkom/ito112

I also tried enclosing the user-name in quotes but it bounced anyway.
Are you sure this is the correct address?

anders

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (01/12/91)

guven@pico.OZ (Guven Mercankosk) writes:

>    I have got a friend who works for Bilkom - Apple Turkey, who can be
>    accessible via AppleLink. I have got his AppleLink number as BILKOM/ITO112.

>    When I tried sending him a message at the address

>        BILKOM/ITO112@applelink.apple.com

Well, when I address stuff to an applelink account I always use
<userid>@applelink.apple.com.  I looked up Bilkom in the Applelink
address book and found two references;

userid         name
BILKOM         Bilkom, Turkey, IMC
IT0112         Bilkom, IMC Turkey, IMC

Therefore you should mail to either;

BILKOM@applelink.apple.com or IT0112@applelink.apple.com

You were close but not quite right.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

woody@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Bill Woodcock) (01/26/91)

  anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) writes:

       > I would take a gander that the '/' is messing things up -
       > here's what apple.com told me:

       > GE's QUIK-COMM is the underlying E-mail system of AppleLink.
       > QUIK-COMM user names are similar to old style FORTRAN
       > variable names: They must begin in an alpha character, and
       > consist of alphanumerics and dot. They may end in a dollar
       > sign to indicate group addresses (i.e. mailing lists). They
       > may be no longer than 12 characters. The following addresses
       > are not valid QUIK-COMM user names:
       >
       > bilkom/ito112
       > bad address from anders@verity.com to bilkom/ito112
       >
       > I also tried enclosing the user-name in quotes but it bounced
       > anyway. Are you sure this is the correct address?

  As the mailer says, an AppleLink address may be no longer than twelve
  characters. You've got thirteen there.  In addittion, AppleLink
  addresses are customarily in one of two formats: either a proper
  noun, being the name of the party or organization to whom the account
  belongs; or a six character code consisting of several letters,
  designating the type of organization (D=Developer, UG=User Group,
  etc.) and three or four numbers indicating the seniority of the
  account within that classification.

  What you've got is TWO valid addresses, which the AppleLink mailer
  identifies as follows:

        BILKOM          "Bilkom, Turkey,IMC"
        IT0112          "Bilkom, IMC Turkey,IMC"

  Either one of these will work, in the format
  "ADDRESS@applelink.apple.com"

                          -Bill Woodcock
                           BMUG NetAdmin

0000 : 0600 0800 7700 FE00 FF 0 FF8  7F 0 3 00 48              bill.woodcock.iv
0010 : CC00 7C00 0C00 1000 2800 440  8200  40
0020 : C000 4000 8000 C000 C 00  800  80  48 0 9           woody@ucscb.ucsc.edu
0030 : FF00 F000 7F80 CC00 CC 0 7 80 7 80 CC    6
0040 : CC00 7F80 9800 7800 CC00 CC0  CC 0 C 00                 2355.virginia.st
0050 : CC00 CC00 FC00 CC00 CC 0 2000 10 0 7 00 C 0
0060 : CC00 CC00 CCC0 4800 2 00 1 00 2 00 48 0 9            berkeley.california
0070 : 4800 2400 1200 1000 2800 4 00 8 00  E0
0080 : 3000 6000 F000 6000  000 60 0 600  C0 0 01C                   94709.1315