[comp.sys.mac.comm] MacTCP Locations

jf@ap.co.umist.ac.uk (John Forrest) (01/24/91)

Sorry about this. There's alot of traffic on this news group regarding MacTCP,
but no answers. I hope this means that they have been E-mailed rather than not
replied. Anyway, I'd like to ask the following, and apologise that they are
really duplicates of what has been asked before.

1) Can someone please tell me where I can pick up a copy of MacTCP -
presumably anon ftp from somewhere?

2) Is there a SLIP version available - we plan a more elaborate network, but
it would be nice to get something going pending some Localtalk wiring and an
ethernet/localtalk bridge. I'm assured we are well down the list for the
latter!

Thanks in advance.

John Forrest
Dept of Computation
UMIST

231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (CS 231 section 2) (01/25/91)

I'm not really sure if you're supposed to actually pay for MacTCP (what is it,
a ResEdit/System Software scenario?), but the best way to get a copy of it is
to find PD MacTCP application, like Eudora.  Eudora is bundled with MacTCP,
you can get it at: ftp 128.174.5.59.  Problem is, I'm pretty sure it is
bundled with an older version of MacTCP, like 1.0.1.

--mike

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (01/26/91)

In article <231b3679.664787163@fergvax> 231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (CS 231 section 2) writes:
>I'm not really sure if you're supposed to actually pay for MacTCP (what is it,
>a ResEdit/System Software scenario?), but the best way to get a copy of it is
>to find PD MacTCP application, like Eudora.  Eudora is bundled with MacTCP

The University of Illinois has a license to redistribute MacTCP in conjunction
with its software.  My understanding of the license is that "its software"
includes Eudora and NCSA Telnet (though NCSA chooses not to redistribute
MacTCP).

A copy of MacTCP obtained from UIUC can ONLY be used in conjunction with
UIUC products.  If you want to run tn3270 or MacX, you are supposed to
use a DIFFERENT copy of MacTCP.

This is exactly the sort of license that Apple gives to people who want
to redistribute system software.

I do not wish to start a discussion on the reasonableness or enforceability
of the agreement; I just want to set the record straight on the license
as I understand it.

OPINION: I am grateful to Apple for the terms of our license.  It is nice
to be able to distribute the complete Eudora package.

>Problem is, I'm pretty sure it is
>bundled with an older version of MacTCP, like 1.0.1.

If there's a newer version than 1.0.1, I'd like to know about it.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

Barry Schoenfelner - bas@chem.wayne.edu (01/26/91)

section 2) writes:
>I'm not really sure if you're supposed to actually pay for MacTCP (what is it,
>a ResEdit/System Software scenario?), but the best way to get a copy of it is
>to find PD MacTCP application, like Eudora.  Eudora is bundled with MacTCP,
>you can get it at: ftp 128.174.5.59.  Problem is, I'm pretty sure it is
>bundled with an older version of MacTCP, like 1.0.1.
>
>--mike

What is the latest version of MacTCP?

Barry Schoenfelner
bas@chem.wayne.edu

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/26/91)

From article <1991Jan25.171811.24600@cs.wayne.edu>, by Barry Schoenfelner - bas@chem.wayne.edu:
| In article <231b3679.664787163@fergvax> 231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (CS 231
| section 2) writes:
|>I'm not really sure if you're supposed to actually pay for MacTCP (what is it,
|>a ResEdit/System Software scenario?), but the best way to get a copy of it is
|>to find PD MacTCP application, like Eudora.  Eudora is bundled with MacTCP,
|>you can get it at: ftp 128.174.5.59.  Problem is, I'm pretty sure it is
|>bundled with an older version of MacTCP, like 1.0.1.
|>
|>--mike
|>
| What is the latest version of MacTCP?

1.0.1, so I guess we're all stuck with the older version. :-)

--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

thaara@polaris.utu.fi (Taito Haara) (01/26/91)

section 2) writes:
>to find PD MacTCP application, like Eudora.  Eudora is bundled with MacTCP,
>you can get it at: ftp 128.174.5.59.  Problem is, I'm pretty sure it is
>bundled with an older version of MacTCP, like 1.0.1.

So what is the current version of MacTCP and where can we get it?
BTW Eudora 1.2 is about to come out and it's nice. It allows national character
conversions for us on this side of the big water...

Roisto

mmcintos@sirius.UVic.CA (Mark McIntosh) (01/26/91)

On 25 Jan 91 21:46:18 GMT, 231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (CS 231 section 2) said:
>bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>>1.0.1, so I guess we're all stuck with the older version. :-)
>Except me... My copy is version 1.0.2, dated Sept 7, 1990.

After seeing this, I called the APDA toll free number for Canada and
asked.  They said the latest version was 1.0.1.  Where did you get
1.0.2 from?

Mark J. McIntosh <mmcintos@sirius.UVic.CA>
University of Victoria, Faculty of Engineering - Dean's Office
Box 3050, Victoria, BC, CANADA    \ "...the mystery of life isn't a problem to
V8W 3P5            (604) 721-6049  \    solve but a reality to experience."
UUCP: ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!sirius!mmcintos  \ from Dune

ziff@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Brian Moore) (01/26/91)

In article <3833@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>From article <1991Jan25.171811.24600@cs.wayne.edu>, by Barry Schoenfelner - bas@chem.wayne.edu:
>| In article <231b3679.664787163@fergvax> 231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (CS 231
>| section 2) writes:
>|>I'm not really sure if you're supposed to actually pay for MacTCP (what is it,
>|>a ResEdit/System Software scenario?), but the best way to get a copy of it is
>|>to find PD MacTCP application, like Eudora.  Eudora is bundled with MacTCP,
>|>you can get it at: ftp 128.174.5.59.  Problem is, I'm pretty sure it is
>|>bundled with an older version of MacTCP, like 1.0.1.
>|>
>|>--mike
>|>
>| What is the latest version of MacTCP?
>
>1.0.1, so I guess we're all stuck with the older version. :-)
>
>--
>Paul DuBois
>dubois@primate.wisc.edu

Actually the latest version is 1.0.2.

Brian Moore
ziff@eecs.umich.edu

231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (CS 231 section 2) (01/26/91)

In article <231b3679.664839978@fergvax> 231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (CS 231 section 2) writes:
>Except me... My copy is version 1.0.2, dated Sept 7, 1990.

You are a lucky man.  The January 1991 APDAlog is still selling 1.0.1.

Where did you get this copy of 1.0.2?  Why isn't APDA selling it, after
almost five months?  What are the differences?  Why does an Apple Rep bother
showing up on campus if he doesn't tell us these things?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan25.223155.29379@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
           dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>In article <231b3679.664839978@fergvax>
            231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (CS 231 section 2) writes:
>>Except me... My copy is version 1.0.2, dated Sept 7, 1990.
>
>You are a lucky man.  The January 1991 APDAlog is still selling 1.0.1.
>
>Where did you get this copy of 1.0.2?  Why isn't APDA selling it, after
>almost five months?  What are the differences?  Why does an Apple Rep bother
>showing up on campus if he doesn't tell us these things?
>
>Inquiring minds want to know.

APDA is selling 1.0.1 (or at least they were a month or so ago, when I bought a
copy of MacTCP).  However, if you buy MacX then it comes with the 1.0.2 version
of MacTCP.  I have no idea what differences there are between the two versions,
but I'd hazzard a guess that it has something to do with support for MacX...
:-)

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu

bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au (01/29/91)

In article <231b3679.664787163@fergvax>, 231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (CS 231 section 2) writes:
> I'm not really sure if you're supposed to actually pay for MacTCP (what is it,

MacTCP is an Apple Product for which you PAY.

It should be available from your local Apple Programmer's and Developers
Association.

It has been included at a couple of FTP site, which I'll not mention since
you can not legally copy from them.  At these sites it is ment only for
local distribution or to those who have bought the product (developer's
can buy a license to distribute MacTCP).

Since this question gets asked every week or so (and used to get answered
with the same frequency), maybe it is a candidate for the 10 most common
questions :-)

--
David E. Bellamy        Email: bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au
Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.104307.514@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au> bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au writes:
>It has been included at a couple of FTP site, which I'll not mention since
>you can not legally copy from them.  At these sites it is ment only for
>local distribution or to those who have bought the product (developer's
>can buy a license to distribute MacTCP).

Ahem.  I guess Mr. Bellamy's license must read very differently from MINE.
I have reproduced the license below.  Trust me that the elided parts are
very boring indeed, and have no bearing on the issue at hand.

I am not a high priest of the law, but I do not see how this agreement
prohibits me from distributing MacTCP (in conjunction with Eudora) by any
means I choose, to whomever I choose, anonymous ftp included.

MacTCP UNIVERSITY COMMERCIAL USE LICENSE AGREEMENT

Apple Computer, In.c ("Apple") agrees to license the computer program described
in Exhibit A ("MacTCP") including all updates and improvements, to the
developer listed above and any majority-owned subsidiariesof the developer
(collectively referred to below as "Developer").  Developer desires to
distribute MacTCP for use in combination with Developer's own computer programs
identified in Exhibit A ("Developer Programs").
[Exhibit A describes Eudora and some other things--sd]
1. License
(a) Apple hereby grants to Developer a nonexclusive, nontransferable
license to copy and distribute MacTCP in object code form for use only
in combination with Developer Programs identified in Exhibit A.
(b) Developer may not use, reproduce, sublicense, distribute or
dispose of MacTCP, in whole or in part, to any third party other
than as permitted under this Agreement.

(c) The following guidelines shall apply to the software and documentation
included in MacTCP.

  (i) The two TCP drivers, MacTCP and AdminTCP, may be distributed to
  Developer's end users along with Developer's Programs.  However, developer's
  end users may not redistribute MacTCP.

2. Effective Date; Term.
3. Consideration [payment--sd]
4. Support [of us by apple--sd]
5. Modification.
MacTCP may not be modified, improved, or adapted by Developer.
6. Disclaimer of Warranty.
7. Disclaimer of Liability.
8. Labelling. [we gotta say a bunch of stuff about how VERY MUCH Apple
owns MacTCP.--sd]
9. Release by Developer. [we can't sue Apple--sd]
10. Indemnification by Apple. [people can't sue us if they think Apple
doesn't own MacTCP--sd]
11. Breach and Termination [what happens if the license is broken--sd]
12. Destruction of MacTCP [we have to destroy our copies (not yours) of
MacTCP if the license is broken.--sd]
13. Assignment [we can't sublet the license.--sd]
14. Governing Law [Illinois'--sd]
15. Notices [between Apple and us--sd]
16. Disclaimer of Agency. [UIUC doesn't become part of Apple, nor
vice-versa--sd]
17. Complete Understanding.
THIS AGREEMENT INCLUDING ALL EXHIBITS ATTACHED CONSTITUTES THE ENTIRE AGREEMENT
BETWEEN THE PARTIES CONCERNING THIS SUBJECT MATTER.  ANY WAIVER OR AMMENDMENT
OF ANY PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT SHALL BE EFFECTIVE ONLY IF IN WRITING AND
SIGNED BY AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVES OF BOTH PARTIES. [caps mine--sd]

[Signatures deleted]
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner