[comp.sys.mac.comm] New Version of VersaTerm Pro ?

legler@masig2.masig1.ocean.fsu.edu (David M. Legler) (01/24/91)

Does anyone have additional information about Version 3.5 of VersaTerm
Pro ?  The only info I saw were two ads in MacWeek which highlighted the
capability of V 3.5 to use the Mac TCP system to allow VT-Pro to do
TCP/IP comunications (ie, FTP, telnet, ?).  I think this would be
*very* useful.

Mr. David M. Legler           ||(904)644-1159 or 644-4581
Mesoscale Air-Sea Interaction ||Bitnet legler%masig1.ocean.fsu.edu@cunyvm
          Group               ||SPAN   7480::"legler@masig1.ocean.fsu.edu"
MS B-174   Love-012           ||Arpa   legler@masig1.ocean.fsu.edu(128.186.3.1)
Florida State University      ||
Tallahassee, FL  32306-3041   || "An Apple II a day, keeps the PC blues away"

rgoldstone@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU (Robin Goldstone) (01/24/91)

In article <LEGLER.91Jan23122145@masig2.masig1.ocean.fsu.edu>,
legler@masig2.masig1.ocean.fsu.edu (David M. Legler) writes:

>Does anyone have additional information about Version 3.5 of VersaTerm
>Pro ?  The only info I saw were two ads in MacWeek which highlighted the
>capability of V 3.5 to use the Mac TCP system to allow VT-Pro to do
>TCP/IP comunications (ie, FTP, telnet, ?).  I think this would be
>*very* useful.

VTP 3.5 is supposed to be released in the next month.  I saw it at MacWorld
in San Francisco.  You get all the nice features of VT plus TCP/IP!  I'm
already signed up for my copy.  It will come bundled with MacTCP.   BTW,
the TCP/IP stuff is available for "plain old" VersaTerm, in addition to
VersaTerm Pro.  The new VT will be version 4.5.

Robin Goldstone, California State University, Chico  Computing Services
rgoldstone@oavax.csuchico.edu

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (01/24/91)

legler@masig2.masig1.ocean.fsu.edu (David M. Legler) writes:

> Does anyone have additional information about Version 3.5 of VersaTerm
> Pro ?  The only info I saw were two ads in MacWeek which highlighted the
> capability of V 3.5 to use the Mac TCP system to allow VT-Pro to do
> TCP/IP comunications (ie, FTP, telnet, ?).  I think this would be
> *very* useful.

The 01.22.91 issue of MacWEEK has an article in their Gateways section on
VersaTerm Pro 3.5 and VersaTerm 4.5 ... the article begins on page 13.

John

--
John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Software Visionary        UUCP: ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta

owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) (01/24/91)

legler@masig2.masig1.ocean.fsu.edu (David M. Legler) asked:

>Does anyone have additional information about Version 3.5 of VersaTerm
>Pro ?  The only info I saw were two ads in MacWeek which highlighted the
>capability of V 3.5 to use the Mac TCP system to allow VT-Pro to do
>TCP/IP comunications (ie, FTP, telnet, ?).  I think this would be
>*very* useful.

The new version of VersaTerm and VersaTerm PRO will indeed support telnet and
ftp. And they come with MacTCP.

Unfortunately, you can only have one connection (telnet or ftp) open at once
:(. They plan to add multiple connections in a later version, but are
contemplating limited functionality (such as one telnet AND one ftp at once).
If you feel full support for multiple sessions is important, please let them
know.

Meanwhile, we'll look at the update (it's only $20) before we decide whether to
use it or stick to NCSA Telnet.

Oh yes, there is an ugly workaround for more sessions: create multiple copies
of VersaTerm and run those. You get one session per copy of the application.

To order the upgrade, you apparently send $20 and your serial number to the
company:
Synergy Software
2457 Perkiomen Ave
Reading, PA 19606

Warning: there may be typos or misunderstandings. Contact the company directly
for reliable information.

Russell Owen
owen@raven.phys.washington.edu

rtp1@quads.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (01/30/91)

Does the new version of Versaterm or Versaterm Pro support Zmodem?