[comp.sys.mac.comm] Who makes MacTCP

larry@abtlabs (Larry Pajakowski) (01/24/91)

I got a call from our local Mac sales person (an Apple employee) about my
question about MacTCP.  He recommended NCSA Telnet and another product but
seemed to know know about MacTCP.  Does Apple produce this?  If so can
someone give me ordering information so I can pass this along to this
person.

Many Thanks

Larry Pajakowski
Abbott Labs
1-708-937-1153
uunet!abtlabs!larry

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/25/91)

From article <1991Jan24.002715.1766@abbott.com>, by larry@abtlabs (Larry Pajakowski):
> I got a call from our local Mac sales person (an Apple employee) about my
> question about MacTCP.  He recommended NCSA Telnet and another product but
> seemed to know know about MacTCP.  Does Apple produce this?  If so can
> someone give me ordering information so I can pass this along to this
> person.

He's an Apple salesman and doesn't know who makes MacTCP?  You might
want to look for a new rep.  Yes, it's an Apple product.  You might be
able to get information from Apple Software Licensing, 1-408-974-4667.
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

rad@mbunix.mitre.org (Dramstad) (01/26/91)

In article <3817@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>From article <1991Jan24.002715.1766@abbott.com>, by larry@abtlabs (Larry Pajakowski):
>> I got a call from our local Mac sales person (an Apple employee) about my
>> question about MacTCP.  He recommended NCSA Telnet and another product but
>> seemed to know know about MacTCP.  Does Apple produce this?  If so can
>> someone give me ordering information so I can pass this along to this
>> person.
>
>He's an Apple salesman and doesn't know who makes MacTCP?  You might
>want to look for a new rep.  Yes, it's an Apple product.  You might be
>able to get information from Apple Software Licensing, 1-408-974-4667.
>--
>Paul DuBois
>dubois@primate.wisc.edu

	Yes, MacTCP comes from Apple, but it might be understandable why
an Apple salesman doesn't know anything about it.  MacTCP doesn't show
up on any Apple price list (at least it didn't just a few months ago).
For single users, it's actually only available via APDA; site licenses
*are* available from Software Licensing, though.

	I've talked to more than one Apple network product manager about
this, usually after they give their "Apple is committed to supporting
standards, such as TCP/IP" speech.  They usually are a bit sheepish,
though, when I point out that a commitment to TCP/IP might better
be signalled by putting the product on their standard price list, and
not treating it as a developer-only oddity, like the rest of the APDA
inventory.  So far, no luck.  It's a shame, because "Where do I get
MacTCP?" is one of the most frequently asked questions on this list.

Dick Dramstad
rad@mitre.org

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan25.183221.26601@linus.mitre.org> rad@mbunix.mitre.org
(Dramstad) writes:
>         I've talked to more than one Apple network product manager about
> this, usually after they give their "Apple is committed to supporting
> standards, such as TCP/IP" speech.  They usually are a bit sheepish,
> though, when I point out that a commitment to TCP/IP might better
> be signalled by putting the product on their standard price list, and
> not treating it as a developer-only oddity, like the rest of the APDA
> inventory.  So far, no luck.

Isn't it about time Apple just put the MacTCP INIT on the Network Tools
disk that you get when you buy your Ethernet card from them? Software
developers can still go to APDA for the complete kit (with libraries,
etc.).

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000