[comp.sys.mac.comm] Sharing phone line between FAX and modem

mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS) (01/31/91)

I have a DoveFax (attached to a Mac Plus) and a Telebit Trailblazer Plus
(attached to a Mac II) on a dedicated line without call waiting. Currently, the
Telebit is only used for outgoing calls, while the DoveFAX is always on to
permit unsolicited FAX receipt. I have ordered uAccess, and I want the Mac II
to be able to receive incoming uucp calls and the Mac Plus to be able to
receive incoming FAXes without getting another phone line. Does anyone have any
experience with any of the boxes that purport to permit sharing of FAX and
modem connections? Is there a technofix?

Jeff E Mandel MD MS
Asst Professor of Anesthesiology
Tulane University School of Medicine
New Orleans, LA

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (02/01/91)

In article <5937@rex.cs.tulane.edu>, mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS) writes:

> I have a DoveFax (attached to a Mac Plus) and a Telebit Trailblazer Plus
> (attached to a Mac II) on a dedicated line without call waiting. Currently, the
> Telebit is only used for outgoing calls, while the DoveFAX is always on to
> permit unsolicited FAX receipt. I have ordered uAccess, and I want the Mac II
> to be able to receive incoming uucp calls and the Mac Plus to be able to
> receive incoming FAXes without getting another phone line. Does anyone have any
> experience with any of the boxes that purport to permit sharing of FAX and
> modem connections? Is there a technofix?

Over on INFO-TELECOM (AKA comp.dcom.telecom) they were talking about
a device you can buy (available from the HELLO DIRECT Catalog) that
would recognize two different ring patterns, then route the call to
two different places.

It requires that your teleco off a service to provide two numbers assigned
to the same line.  Some places have this, others don't (unfortunately Pac*Bell
doesn't here :-( )  Think of it as a modern party line sort of.

If this is available in your area I think it would do the trick.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE