[comp.sys.mac.comm] NCSA Telnet 2.3 through NetBridge

dhp1@gte.com (Dave Pascoe) (02/01/91)

We have two LocalTalk networks connected by a Shiva NetBridge.  I reside in
LocalTalk Net #2.  In Net #1 there's a Kinetics FastPath connected to a small
Ethernet.

When the NetBridge was first installed it was configured so Net #1 and Net #2
possessed the same zone name.  For reasons which aren't important, the NetBridge
had to be reconfigured to create two separate zone names.

Problem:  When the zones had the same name I was able to find the FP gateway
and use NCSA Telnet to connect to a workstation.  Now, with the different zone
names, I can't.  I revised my config.tel file to reflect the new configuration, i.e., I
inserted a zone="name" to point to the zone where the FastPath resides .

Any ideas?  I called Shiva and they said this should be possible but it doesn't seem
to work....nothing else has changed.

Here's the config.tel file:

hardware=AppleTalk
zone="NDHM EDCD"
ftp=yes
termtype="vt100"		# terminal type to advertise (safe bet)
arptime=5
name=Shelf_Life		# Session name, "default" is a reserved name
host=Shelf_Life		# Actual host name of machine, not session name
hostip=100.14.40.1		# IP address of host, example is for SRI-NIC
#gateway=1		# This machine is a gateway for me
#nameserver=1		# This machine has a DOMAIN name server for me
scrollback=100		# number of lines of scrollback per session
erase=delete		# use delete code or backspace code for <- key?
				#   legal values are "delete" and "backspace"
vtwrap=yes		# should VT100 be in wrap mode or not?
nfcolor="{0,0,0}"		# normal, foreground (Mac II)
nbcolor="{65535,65535,65535}"	# normal, background (Mac II)
bfcolor="{0,0,0}"		# blink, foreground (Mac II)
bbcolor="{65535,65535,65535}"	# blink, background (Mac II)
#crmap=4.3BSDCRNUL		# map of the CR key for compatibility
#duplex=half			# modifier for non-echo mode, forces send
clearsave=yes			# save lines on clear screen yes/no
contime=30		# timeout in seconds to try connection
retrans=30		# starting retransmit time out in ticks
				#   1/60ths of sec
mtu=512			# maximum transmit unit in bytes
				#   AppleTalk MAX = 512
				#   outgoing packet size, ET MAX=1024
maxseg=512		# largest segment we can receive
				#   AppleTalk MAX = 512
				#   whatever the hardware can take, ET MAX=1536
rwin=512			#   TCP window size, MAX=4096
#name=mynameserver ; hostip=127.0.0.2 ; nameserver=1
name=IPGATEWAY; hostip=100.14.40.3 ; gateway=1
name=zippy ;	host=zippy;	hostip=100.14.40.2
name=compaq ;	hostip=100.14.40.4
name=hobbes ;	host=hobbes;	hostip=100.14.40.5
name=bela;	hostip=100.14.40.30
name=pascoe;	hostip=100.14.40.29
name=bigmac;	hostip=100.14.40.27
name=aknad;	hostip=100.14.40.26
name=deptmacII; hostip=100.14.40.25
#name=;	hostip=100.14.40.24
#name=;	hostip=100.14.40.23
#name=;	hostip=100.14.40.22
#name=;	hostip=100.14.40.21
#name=;	hostip=100.14.40.20

--
Dave Pascoe   |  Internet: dhp1@gte.com
GTE/EDCD      |  UUCP: ...!{harvard}!gte.com!dhp1

jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (02/01/91)

In article <10488@bunny.GTE.COM> dhp1@gte.com (Dave Pascoe) writes:
> We have two LocalTalk networks connected by a Shiva NetBridge.  I reside
in
> LocalTalk Net #2.  In Net #1 there's a Kinetics FastPath connected to a
small
> Ethernet.
>
> When the NetBridge was first installed it was configured so Net #1 and
Net #2
> possessed the same zone name.  For reasons which aren't important, the
NetBridge
> had to be reconfigured to create two separate zone names.
>
> Problem:  When the zones had the same name I was able to find the FP
gateway
> and use NCSA Telnet to connect to a workstation.  Now, with the
different zone
> names, I can't.  I revised my config.tel file to reflect the new
configuration, i.e., I
> inserted a zone="name" to point to the zone where the FastPath resides .

The Shiva NetBridge is not the problem.  We have some here and they work
fine with the MacTCP version of NCSA Telnet 2.3.

I can think of two problems:

If you are using the MacTCP version of NCSA Telnet, the "zone" field in
the config.tel file is ignored.  You must use the MacTCP control panel to
select the zone instead.

Tell MacTCP to get the IP address from the server. Don't try to use a
static IP address - due to a deficiency in the protocols, static IP
addresses don't work on LocalTalk Macs in zones other than the zone to
which the FastPath or other AT/IP gateway is directly connected.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu