[comp.sys.mac.comm] UUCP/Usenet for Mac

jrc@brainiac.mn.org (Jeffrey Comstock) (01/26/91)

I am running a Sun system here, and a freind of mine
just saw me reading news.  After I showed him what I
was doing, he is now interested in getting a small
newsfeed from me.  So, what I would like to know is
where can I get uucp software for a Mac? How about
network news software [ MacCnews or MacBnews :-) ] ?
All I really know about his machine is that it is at
least 3 years old, and probably has a 68010 in it.
Since this is probably an old question, send your
email to jrc@brainiac.mn.org, or else post if you
want to....

mfidelma@bbn.com (Miles R. Fidelman) (01/29/91)

ICE engineering makes a UUCP package for the MAC - I don't know if it works
well or not.  Their phone number is 313-449-8288.

rpcfod@uarthur.UUCP (Robert Patt-Corner) (01/31/91)

In article <62383@bbn.BBN.COM>, mfidelma@bbn.com (Miles R. Fidelman) writes:
> ICE engineering makes a UUCP package for the MAC - I don't know if it works
> well or not.  Their phone number is 313-449-8288.

We're testing out uAccess UUCP, and so far, so good.  Mail works very nicely,
the lower level UUCP seems fine, and it's nicely engineered in terms of
user interface and the like.  Moderately expensive.  Haven't had the
opportunity to test the NEWS end, due to forwarder setup delays.

The other player I know of is the shareware MacGnuucp from Fort Pond Research.  It also works very well, is quite inexpensive but is a far simpler product.  It offers a simple mail and file exchange, but no news as yet, and none of the CommToolbox and user interface enhancements that make uAccess so very attractive
for news distribution at a non-NNTP site.

Marc_North@mindlink.UUCP (Marc North) (01/31/91)

        Dave,
                What would be the price for the packages you have listed?
* Marc North                 * "For the final consummation and for me *
* 225 - 810 West Broadway    *  to feel less lonely, my last wish was *
* Vancouver, B.C.            *  that there should be a crowd of spec- *
* V5Z 4C9                    *  tators at my execution and that they  *
* (604) 731-3575   (data)    *  should greet me with cries of hatred."*
* (604) 733-5091   (voice)   *          -Albert Camus "The Outsider"  *

daveh@cvedc.uucp (Dave Heinen) (02/01/91)

In article <62383@bbn.BBN.COM>, mfidelma@bbn.com (Miles R. Fidelman) writes:
> ICE engineering makes a UUCP package for the MAC - I don't know if it works
> well or not.  Their phone number is 313-449-8288.

I have used 3 different uucp packages on the mac. Macfsuucp, uupc, and Uaccess.

each has pros and cons depending on your situation.(and budget)

uupc:
	very fast on my 19.2kbit telebit.
	ugly/no real human interface.
	won't run under multifinder well
	locks up my Tops server.
	again goes very fast.
	cheap $$

MACfsuucp
	Very slow on my 19.2 kbit telebit. less than 2400 baud
		( because it doesn't support 3 window G protocol)
	a simple hypercard based human interface.
	works under multi-finder.
	Tops and other servers work.
	again very SLOW on my telebit.

uAccess
	Outstanding human interface for mail, news, sysadmin,config.
	very fast on my telebit
	full functionality including a "cron" capability
	works very well under multifinder.
	Tops and other servers work.
	again Outstanding human interface with full functionality.
	fully supported product, tech-support responds quickly.
	NOT cheap.

Conclusion:
	if your are serious about uucp,mail/netnews for the mac
	and you want to use your machine during transfers
	you need to get uAccess. It's worth the price.

dave
 Dave Heinen                          dheinen@cvedc.prime.com
 Computervision                        ..ogicse!cvedc!dheinen
 A Division of Prime Computer       ..sun!nosun!cvedc!dheinen
 14952 NW Greenbrier Parkway           FAX   (503)645-4734
 Beaverton, Oregon 97006               Phone (503)645-2410

sw@nan.co.uk (Sak Wathanasin) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.172838.16123@cvedc.uucp>, daveh@cvedc.uucp (Dave Heinen) writes:

> I have used 3 different uucp packages on the mac. Macfsuucp, uupc, and Uaccess.
>
> each has pros and cons depending on your situation.(and budget)
>
> uupc:
> 	very fast on my 19.2kbit telebit.
> 	ugly/no real human interface.
> 	won't run under multifinder well

Doesn't work in the background at all, in fact (:-().

Sorry, guys. This version came about because the company I worked for decided
it didn't want an R & D dept any more, and I needed a net connection in
a hurry (how could I live without my daily net.fix? :-), so I did it the quickest
way I could find, which was to convert Stuart Lynne's Aztec C code to Think
C.

Alen Sheppy got news to work and made myriad other improvements. He sent
me mail some time ago to say that he was putting together a version 2.4,
and I sent him some fixes to cure the problem where uupc hung up if the
line drops in the middle of a conversation. Don't ask me how it's coming
along...

Someone else told me that he had a friendly front-end ready for beta, but
I'll respect his wishes for privacy at this time (since he would have posted
to this group if it was ready for general distribution). I presume he doesn't
want to innundated with requests for a copy at this time.

> MACfsuucp

Is this the port of GNU uucp?

> uAccess

I agree with everything that was said, but I should warn prospective buyers
that it needs a 1 MB MultiFinder partition if you want to run news in the
background. Since I now have a commercial interest in uAccess, I shall refrain
from other comments.

---
Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited

uucp:	...!ukc!nan!sw
other:	sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk
phone:  (+44) 203 419996
snail:  178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

Michael.Fraase@p504.f22.n282.z1.mmug.edgar.mn.org (Michael Fraase) (02/02/91)

 > uAccess
 >         Outstanding human interface for mail, news,
 > sysadmin,config.
 >         very fast on my telebit
 >         full functionality including a "cron"
 > capability
 >         works very well under multifinder.
 >         Tops and other servers work.
 >         again Outstanding human interface with full
 > functionality.
 >         fully supported product, tech-support responds
 > quickly.
 >         NOT cheap.

Who makes this? Would you provide a (US Mail) address, please.

Thanks in advance...

-Mike Fraase/Arts & Farces
CompuServe 75300,640

--
Michael Fraase - via The Minnesota Macintosh Users Group UUCP-Fido Gateway
UUCP: ...uunet!tcnet!kksys!edgar!mmug!22.504!Michael.Fraase