[comp.sys.mac.comm] Reading news via a modem

mehl@iastate.edu (Mark M Mehl) (02/03/91)

In <1261@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>NNTP is a protocol on the same
>level as Telnet, FTP, SMTP, etc.  It's the most common means
>for news to traverse IP networks, but, like SMTP, it's not
>specifically dependent on TCP/IP--it works fine on DECNET, for
>instance.

>The "traditional" newsreaders require the full text of every
>article . . . (typically several hundred megabytes . . .) or . . .

>An NNTP-based newsreader doesn't need direct access to the files
>containing the articles . . .

>It's made usenet much more accessible; for example, a Macintosh
>user with network connectivity, MacTCP software and NNTP-
>compatible news reading software can participate--without needing
>a humongous hard disk, without having to log into a UNIX or
>VAX/VMS or VM/CMS (or whatever) system, without having to learn
>emacs or vi--or anything else about whichever machine actually
>provides the service.  It just looks like another Macintosh
>application.

Sounds great.  Is there any way to provide news service by NNTP
through a modem connection or phone line?  How about using ISDN?

Can NNTP service work through LocalTalk/AppleTalk without bridging
to ethernet?  Let's assume the news server (Unix box) has a serial
connection to provide such a service.

NOTE:  Followups directed to comp.sys.mac.comm.  The previous article
appeared in news.newusers.questions.  Much of this article was omitted.
--
 /\ Mark M Mehl, alias Superticker (Supertickler to some)
<><> Internet: mehl@IAstate.edu