[comp.sys.mac.comm] Can't logout of AppleShare.

phil@shl.com (Phil Trubey) (01/29/91)

I have a strange problem.  Occationally, when I try to log out of
an AppleShare session by dragging the AppeShare icon to the trash,
the icon doesn't disappear and my session remains.  I log in via
the auto login feature at boot time.  Might this have something to
do with open files?  Any other ideas why this happens?

Thanks,

--
Phil Trubey
SHL Systemhouse Inc.

ian@umiami.ir.miami.edu (01/30/91)

Don't know if this is helpfull but if your network is really busy
it takes a while for the server to aknowledge the termination of your
sessions...
--
Scruffy
Ian Sullivan

francis@uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan29.211900.7711@umiami.ir.miami.edu> ian@umiami.ir.miami.edu writes:

   Don't know if this is helpfull but if your network is really busy
   it takes a while for the server to aknowledge the termination of your
   sessions...

Sounds like screwy priorities to me.  If your net is overloaded, don't
you want to terminate any session that's finished ASAP?

--
/=============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

dagraham@vax1.tcd.ie (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan29.155328.14079@shl.com>, phil@shl.com (Phil Trubey) writes:
> I have a strange problem.  Occationally, when I try to log out of
> an AppleShare session by dragging the AppeShare icon to the trash,
> the icon doesn't disappear and my session remains.  I log in via
> the auto login feature at boot time.  Might this have something to
> do with open files?  Any other ideas why this happens?

Do you have any files on an AppleShare fileserver? you may not think you have,
but if you're using something like SuitCase to open fonts or DAs that are on
the fileserver, you can't dismount whatever AppleShare volume has them open.

Good luck.

David Graham, JF Comp Sci, Trinity College, Dublin.
Internet: dagraham@vax1.tcd.ie

And at Glanmire Electronics Ltd.,
AppleLink: DUB.GE.RES

phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (Phil Jimmieson) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan29.155328.14079@shl.com>, phil@shl.com (Phil Trubey) writes:
> I have a strange problem.  Occationally, when I try to log out of
> an AppleShare session by dragging the AppeShare icon to the trash,
> the icon doesn't disappear and my session remains.  I log in via
> the auto login feature at boot time.  Might this have something to
> do with open files?  Any other ideas why this happens?

If you use Suitcase to open font/DA files on your server, these files are
continuously open - and so dragging the server icon to the trash won't log you
out. A shutdown or restart is the only way (short of going into Suitcase and
closing the files manually). I suppose anything else that keeps files open will
produce the same effect.

Phil Jimmieson,           ***************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,   * JANET    : phil@uk.ac.liv.cs.and                *
Liverpool University,     * INTERNET : phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk                *
PO Box 147                ***************************************************
Liverpool  L69  3BX    "This message contains wit, sophistication, class,
(UK) 051-794-3689       style, and 3 other words I don't understand as well..."

gjb@cs.brown.edu (Gregory Brail) (02/03/91)

Most likely, you have a busy file on that server volume. The latest
system software releases won't let you unmount AppleShare volumes if
there's a busy file on one. Try quitting some applications,
particularly Microsoft Word, and try again.

				-greg

Greg Brail
Internet: gjb@cs.brown.edu  BITNET: gjb@browncs.bitnet
UUCP:	..uunet!brunix!gjb  Home:   (401)273-1172