[comp.sys.mac.comm] FTP to etherneted MacSEs fails

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (02/04/91)

gilbertd@cricket.bio.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) writes:

>I've run into a weird network problem that I hope someone can shed
>light on. Since we've installed new ethernet equipment, I've found
>that transfer of any medium to large file to any Mac SE freezes
>without any data transfer.  FTP to MacII or SE/30 or IBM-AT is fine.
>I've tried MacTCP software (NCSA Telnet and HyperFTP), and the NCSA
>Telnet version with the built-in tcp/ip, with the same apparent
>problem, thought the Telnet with built-in tcp/ip fails for different
>(larger?) files.   The size at which FTP will fail is about 5K or
>greater (sounds like a buffer size), though I haven't pinned down the
>size exactly.

Sounds like the infinitely bizzare segment size problem rearing its
ugly head again. It seems like some ethernet card manufacturers do not
communicate their maximum segment size properly. Very often, a fix that
Steve Dorner came up with to fix a problem with MacTCP 1.0 fixes the
more general problem with these cards. It does not do anything to non-
MacTCP NCSA Telnet, but should help other things.

Using ResEdit, open the driver resource in the MacTCP file and search
for the hex string "337c02040014". Change it to "337c01010014". That
has helped lots of people.

Hopefully these vendors will get on the stick someday.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC