[comp.sys.mac.comm] Mac-based POP mailers

stoner@mte.ncsu.edu (02/04/91)

We are currently investigating going to a Mac-based POP3 mail server for our
Macs.  They are connected to a campus-wide ethernet via direct connections and
Gatorboxes.  We don't really have access to a Unix-based host right now, so
we're looking at a Mac-only solution.  We would like to probably use something
like Eudora at the client-end, though other systems are welcome as well.

I've heard Stanford has a server called MacMH, but I don't know how to contact
them.  What are your experiences with this and other servers?  Has anybody
ported the PD servers for Unix to A/UX, and how do they run?  Thanks.

Mike Paisley
paisley@mte.ncsu.edu
paisley@NCSUMTE.BITNET

ulall@pub.uwrl.usu.edu (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb4.144253.1824@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> stoner@mte.ncsu.edu writes:
>We are currently investigating going to a Mac-based POP3 mail server for our
>Macs.  They are connected to a campus-wide ethernet via direct connections and
>Gatorboxes.  We don't really have access to a Unix-based host right now, so
>we're looking at a Mac-only solution.  We would like to probably use something
>like Eudora at the client-end, though other systems are welcome as well.
>
>I've heard Stanford has a server called MacMH, but I don't know how to contact
>them.  What are your experiences with this and other servers?  Has anybody
>ported the PD servers for Unix to A/UX, and how do they run?  Thanks.
>
>Mike Paisley

I tried a bunch of them. Eudora is the best by far.

gilbertd@cricket.bio.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb4.144253.1824@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> stoner@mte.ncsu.edu writes:
>We are currently investigating going to a Mac-based POP3 mail server for our
>them.  What are your experiences with this and other servers?  Has anybody
>ported the PD servers for Unix to A/UX, and how do they run?  Thanks.

A/UX Mac is a very good standard unix box.  I've got popper (the POP
mail server), rn (network news) with NNTP, of course internet and bitnet
mail, X Windows, gcc and g++ compilers, InterViews X-WIndow library,
CAP (Columbia AppleTalk Package,including unix-based Appleshare
fileserver and laserwriter server), and just about any other unix
goodies that I've tried running fine.

I intend to use my office Mac2ci with large disk as a POP server temporarily
for a department of 300-400 people.  Mail is no big drain on a CPU or disk
so I don't forsee any real problems (call me in a couple months).  For the
price of a Mac2ci you can also buy a faster unix box (Sun) that might act as a
better long-term Mac file server + mail post office + network news station
+ unix program box.  Or you can probably do this all okay on a Mac 2si.  A/UX
takes someone with time and interest to set up all the above software, but
any competent unix hacker should be able to deal with it.

-- Don

--
Don Gilbert    gilbertd@cricket.bio.indiana.edu