[comp.sys.mac.comm] Cancelling Call Waiting

calvin@portia.stanford.edu (01/31/91)

Hello,

	I know this was once answered on the net, but I did not get it back then. What
is the code that temporarily disables the call waiting feature?

	Thanks in advance.

Peter

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan30.191759.14674@portia.Stanford.EDU> calvin@portia.stanford.edu writes:
|> What is the code that temporarily disables the call waiting feature?

	*70   (that's start seventy)

--
= Michael K. Yee		-- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --
= OSF/Motif Development

ehanson@umbc1.umbc.edu (Mr. Erik Hanson; ARTS-SCI (UG)) (01/31/91)

In article <YEE.91Jan30145213@genoa.osf.org>, yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee)
writes...
>In article <1991Jan30.191759.14674@portia.Stanford.EDU>
>calvin@portia.stanford.edu writes:
>
>|> What is the code that temporarily disables the call waiting feature?
>|>

>	*70   (that's start seventy)

Unless you have a rotary phone, then it's 1170-###-#### (in my area at least).
(Of course, you have to replace the pound signs with the number...)

I've heard it differs around the country, but you can look it up in your
phone book (it's called "tone block", and it's ususally listed in the front
of the phone book right after it describes call waiting). Or, you can call
the phone company.

seeya!

Erik Hanson   University of Maryland, Baltimore County   ehanson@umbc2.umbc.edu

magik@chinet.chi.il.us (Ben Liberman) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan30.191759.14674@portia.Stanford.EDU> calvin@portia.stanford.edu writes:
>What is the code that temporarily disables the call waiting feature?

In most areas, enter *70 and you will hear a dailtone.  When you now dial, call
waiting will be disabled for the duration of this call only.

--
	------------    ------------   ----------------------
	Ben Liberman    USENET         magik@chinet.chi.il.us

calvin@portia.stanford.edu (02/01/91)

Thanks to all who replied.

For those who missed the numerous postings the code is *70 in most places.

Peter

j1whalen@handel.helios.nd.edu (Jon Whalen) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb1.065903.20884@portia.Stanford.EDU> calvin@portia.stanford.edu writes:
>Thanks to all who replied.
>
>For those who missed the numerous postings the code is *70 in most places.
>
>Peter

Actually, I think that *70 cancels *all* special services for the duration
of the call. 1170 is call-waiting specific.

--jon