[comp.sys.mac.comm] Quickmail si probelms ?

John_Mansfield@emal.sprl.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) (02/07/91)

Since the SE/30 Ethernet cards are interupt driven and Quickmail
clashes with them every so often, does this mean that any machine with a
processor-direct slot ethernet card will have the same problems?  I am
particularly interested in using a IIsi as a mail server and using
one of the fast Asante ethernet cards to connect it to the network.
I hear that these cards are PDS so is this a problem?  Anyone from CE care
to comment?

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (02/07/91)

John_Mansfield@emal.sprl.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) writes:

>Since the SE/30 Ethernet cards are interupt driven and Quickmail
>clashes with them every so often, does this mean that any machine with a
>processor-direct slot ethernet card will have the same problems?  I am
>particularly interested in using a IIsi as a mail server and using
>one of the fast Asante ethernet cards to connect it to the network.
>I hear that these cards are PDS so is this a problem?  Anyone from CE care
>to comment?

Indeed, all direct slot Macs have this problem.  There is a workaround that
even CE software didn't think of!

I have successfuly installed QuickMail v2.2.3 on a Macintosh SE equipped
with an Emac Speedlink thin ethernet card.  By running Liaison on the
machine (version 3.0 only, doesn't work with the Emac drivers otherwise
and will slow down the ethertalk to localtalk speeds), WITH THE HOME PORT
SET TO LOCALTALK.

With this setup, the Mailserver looks as if it's on the Localtalk side
of the machine, but performance is not degraded since with Liaison 3.0 ,
this is only a cosmetic difference, all ports run at full speeds.

This keeps QuickMail Server happy, since it "talks" to Localtalk, with
Liaison handling the Ethertalk side of things.

I have AppleShare, and FaxGate running on this 2.5meg SE too...  It works
really well and hasn't crashed in Months (it would crash every day with
Apple's Internet Router).

If you don't understand what I'm doing, EMail me and I'll go into
details....

| Pascal Gosselin          | Internet: P.Gosselin@CAM.ORG Applelink: CDA0585 |
| Gest-Mac Inc. Apple VAR  |   Voice (514) 767-4444   Fax (514) 767-7337     |