[comp.sys.mac.comm] Eudora 1.2b31 available

jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb2.165756.25336@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
> A beta release (1.2b31) of Eudora is now available for anonymous ftp
> from ux1.cso.uiuc.edu, in the mac/eudora/beta subdirectory.

Don't delay - get it now!  This is by far the best Mac POP client I've
seen, and I've seen most of them.  The new version has lots of great new
features.  This is the program I use most often on my Mac, and it's one of
my favorites.  Kudos to Steve Dorner once again.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (02/05/91)

In article <3152@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) writes:
>In article <1991Feb2.165756.25336@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
>dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>> A beta release (1.2b31) of Eudora is now available for anonymous ftp
>> from ux1.cso.uiuc.edu, in the mac/eudora/beta subdirectory.
>
>Don't delay - get it now!  This is by far the best Mac POP client I've
>seen, and I've seen most of them.  The new version has lots of great new
>features.  This is the program I use most often on my Mac, and it's one of
>my favorites.  Kudos to Steve Dorner once again.

I'll second that. I've been using an alpha version of 1.2 and it worked very
well. I just recieved the new beta version and its even better. Great job
Steve.

Steve, since you went to all the trouble of being able to switch out of
your program (except message transmission) when any dialog is up, why
don't you just make the dialogs moveable-modal? Especially the password
dialog box. I have your program auto launch when I reboot and the first thing
it asks is a password. If I want to do something else at that moment
I have to dismiss the dialog box or click on the Multifinder icon. (or else
type in the password and wait while it does its network stuff) If I
double click on a folder or a disk Icon of course it beeps because a dialog
box is up.

Just a suggestion,

Matt

Matthew Mora                |  my Mac  Matt_Mora@QM.SRI.COM
SRI International           |  my SUN   mxmora@unix.sri.com

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (02/06/91)

In article <20805@unix.SRI.COM> mxmora@unix.UUCP (Matt Mora) writes:
>Steve, since you went to all the trouble of being able to switch out of
>your program (except message transmission)

Huh?  Just clickee the icon...

(It doesn't work when opening or closing a connection with the CTB,
because it is my sad experience that some mac/modem combinations hang
when doing asynchronous open/close calls with the CTB.  Nice people at Apple
tell me they can't repeat the problem.  (Sigh.)  It also doesn't work
with System 7.0 (or so I'm told).  The rest of the time it should work fine.)

>when any dialog is up, why
>don't you just make the dialogs moveable-modal?

1. I have no documentation on them (not in IM I-V or the technotes).
   (I am not a registered developer, just a poor unwashed slob.)

2. I was under the impression they should not be used with calls to
   Alert or ModalDialog.  (I know that a REAL programmer writes his own
   versions of ALL the mac managers in order to comply with tn 203,
   but I'm afraid I cheat.)
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb5.175535.14178@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:

> (It doesn't work when opening or closing a connection with the CTB,
> because it is my sad experience that some mac/modem combinations hang
> when doing asynchronous open/close calls with the CTB.  Nice people at Apple
> tell me they can't repeat the problem.  (Sigh.)  It also doesn't work
> with System 7.0 (or so I'm told).  The rest of the time it should work fine.)

I am running a bbs with the CTB and get the same problem. Some modems shutting down send
the Mac into an infinite loop in the Write code. Running on a IIfx under System 7.0.

--
Terry Monks        Automata Design Inc    (703) 472-9400

wezel@bio.vu.nl (Jos van Wezel) (02/07/91)

In article <3152@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) writes:
>In article <1991Feb2.165756.25336@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
>dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>> A beta release (1.2b31) of Eudora is now available for anonymous ftp
>
>Don't delay - get it now!  This is by far the best Mac POP client I've
>seen, and I've seen most of them.  The new version has lots of great new
>features.  This is the program I use most often on my Mac, and it's one of
>my favorites.  Kudos to Steve Dorner once again.

Agree, agree ***. This software is great. Thanks Steve, on behalf of 100up
users at our site.

For 'Eudora' a message like this is NOT a waste of bandwidth and completely
appropriate.

Jos van Wezel

espen@math.uio.no (Espen J. Vestre) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.160037.18005@bio.vu.nl> wezel@bio.vu.nl (Jos van
Wezel) writes:
> writes:
> >In article <1991Feb2.165756.25336@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
> >dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
> >> A beta release (1.2b31) of Eudora is now available for anonymous ftp
> >
> >Don't delay - get it now!  This is by far the best Mac POP client I've
> >seen, and I've seen most of them.  The new version has lots of great
new
> >features.  This is the program I use most often on my Mac, and it's one
of
> >my favorites.  Kudos to Steve Dorner once again.
> >
> Agree, agree ***. This software is great. Thanks Steve, on behalf of
100up
> users at our site.

I just switched from the POPMail Stack to Eudora, and I must agree: Eudora
is really great.  The only thing I miss is POPmail's ability to recognize
BinHex code in _any_ letter.  This is extremely useful: For instance: I am
on a mailing list where people occasionaly include small BinHex'ed files
in their letters, which POPmail then recognizes and converts automatically.

In Eudora, a message has to be marked with an "X-Attachments:..." to be
recognized as containing a BinHex'ed file.  Is this some kind of standard
way to signal to mail programs that there are attached files to the
message?

Espen J. Vestre
Department of Mathematics
University of Oslo
P.o. Box 1053 Blindern
N-0316 OSLO 3
NORWAY                            espen@math.uio.no

rpcfod@uarthur.UUCP (Robert Patt-Corner) (02/08/91)

it would help with this problem, but perhaps it's worth a try.

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb7.092119.16390@ulrik.uio.no> espen@math.uio.no (Espen J. Vestre) writes:
>In Eudora, a message has to be marked with an "X-Attachments:..." to be
>recognized as containing a BinHex'ed file.

Nope.  If this is really happening to you, you must be experiencing some
strange bug; talk to me.  Eudora looks for the standard:

(This file must be converted with....

and does its thing.

I regularly say things like:

ftp> get foo.hqx | mail dorner