[comp.sys.mac.comm] Terminal emulation for mac that can send a break char

robs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Rob Schaeffer) (02/07/91)

ez005334@deneb.ucdavis.edu writes:
>Hi there,
>Does anyone know if there is a vt100 terminal emulation program for the
>macintosh that can send a break character (not a drop of dtr, just a
>character.)  I need to find one in order to log into a particular machine,
>but so far I haven't had any luck. Perhaps it is because I dont have any
>manuals for the programs I have tried.  Does anyone know how to
>generate a break in versaterm?

MacKermit sends breaks nicely and emulates vt100.

Rob

--
robs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

"My God, [static] it's full of [static] toasters..."
                           -- 2001, A Hardware Odyssey

derek@coco2.albany.edu (Cinderella Man) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb7.155803.13149@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> robs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Rob
Schaeffer) writes:
>ez005334@deneb.ucdavis.edu writes:
>>Does anyone know if there is a vt100 terminal emulation program for the
>>macintosh that can send a break character?
>
>MacKermit sends breaks nicely and emulates vt100.

        It's version-dependent.  0.9(40) does not have a menu item or key
to send a break, but later ones (0.9(57) and 0.9(63)) do.  Kermit's
emulation is, of course, very good.

        Other terminal programs that will send a break are Red Ryder,
White Knight, and ZTerm.

        Incidentally, does anyone have a reason why every VT100/101
emulator I've seen do not support the double-high or double-width
character sets?  What are the technical problems involved?

>robs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

                                                Derek L.
--
"Oh, get a real job!"  -- what my Mac says on startup

austin@spies.sf-bay.org (Glenn Austin) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb7.155803.13149@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> robs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Rob Schaeffer) writes:
>ez005334@deneb.ucdavis.edu writes:
>>Hi there,
>>Does anyone know if there is a vt100 terminal emulation program for the
>>macintosh that can send a break character (not a drop of dtr, just a
>>character.)  I need to find one in order to log into a particular machine,
>>but so far I haven't had any luck. Perhaps it is because I dont have any
>>manuals for the programs I have tried.  Does anyone know how to
>>generate a break in versaterm?
>
>MacKermit sends breaks nicely and emulates vt100.

As well as MicroPhone II, White Knight, MacTerminal 3.0...

Sending breaks is a pretty common thing.  Even VersaTerm does it.  I don't
have my manual handy (since I'm in the process of moving), but I know that
it is in there.  In fact, I think it is even in the About box!

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
|   Macintosh Wizard            |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |

klingspo@holst.tmc.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (02/11/91)

ZTerm 0.85 does this; should be avail. @ FTP sumex.stanford.edu

Steve Klingsporn