[comp.sys.mac.comm] Repost: SLIP on MacTCP

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Jan31.083829.1343@urz.unibas.ch> doelz@urz.unibas.ch writes:
>In article <Jan.22.20.54.55.1991.26831@remus.rutgers.edu>, rauscher@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Rauscher) writes:
>> Does anybody out there know if there exists or will exist a version
>> of MacTCP that will run over a SLIP connection?
>I am also VERY interested !!!

I think everybody is very interested except Apple management, who seem
entirely indifferent.  Every time I ask an Apple rep about it, they say
"How do you spell that?" and promise to check for me.  I never get an
answer.

The few engineering types I've heard from in Apple seem interested, but
say "it's a marketing decision."

The ROM disk and the less insane pricing on the new macs seem to indicate
that Apple might be figuring out that it's not doing us all a big favor
by selling Macintoshes to us.  Perhaps this change of attitude will
extend to SLIP someday.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

smith@ucs.sfu.ca (Richard Smith) (02/05/91)

I have recently been corresponding with a company in France which makes
something called TCPack. This product will take communications toolbox
compliant applications and run them over tcp/ip (sort of the opposite of
what you are talking about) with MacTCP. Has anyone experience with them
or this product?

I have a lengthy description of the product including pricing if anyone
is interested I will mail it to them. In the message (from
adv.soft@applelink.apple.com) the writer says he will send me a demo
version via applelink "and via some friends" - does anyone have this
demo and can I FTP it from them? I don't (yet) have applelink access.

...r

lengge@chx400.switch.ch (Thomas Lenggenhager) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb4.211429.4991@ucs.sfu.ca> smith@ucs.sfu.ca (Richard Smith) writes:

>I have recently been corresponding with a company in France which makes
>something called TCPack. This product will take communications toolbox
>compliant applications and run them over tcp/ip (sort of the opposite of
>what you are talking about) with MacTCP. Has anyone experience with them
>or this product?

We bought TCPack and use it together with VersaTerm on top of TCP/IP.
However it dosn't support multi session/multi window, since VersaTerm never
heard about that :-(.
In fact, TCPack is a Connection Tool for the Communications Toolbox, which
sits by itself on top of MacTCP. (You get MacTCP when you buy TCPack). You
can even set up an FTP connection.

The first version we got last summer didn't work too well together with
VersaTerm, but as I heard the problems were mainly due to the CTB and
VersaTerm. This is now fixed and the newest version is stable.

The same company wrote a nice Terminal Tool for the CTB, providing
IBM 3270 emulation. It's called asc3270 and even knows about national
character sets and has a fully configurable keyboard mapping (nice to have
for people in Europe).

     Thomas Lenggenhager, SWITCH, ETH-Zentrum, CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland
          INET: lenggenhager@switch.ch       | Tel: +41-1-261 8178
          UUCP: ..!mcsun!chx400!lenggenhager | Fax: +41-1-261 8133

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb4.211429.4991@ucs.sfu.ca>, smith@ucs.sfu.ca (Richard Smith) writes:
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.comm
> From: smith@ucs.sfu.ca (Richard Smith)
> Subject: Re: Repost: SLIP on MacTCP
> Date: Mon, 4 Feb 91 21:14:29 GMT
>

> I have recently been corresponding with a company in France which makes
> something called TCPack. This product will take communications toolbox
> compliant applications and run them over tcp/ip (sort of the opposite of
> what you are talking about) with MacTCP. Has anyone experience with them
> or this product?
>
> I have a lengthy description of the product including pricing if anyone
> is interested I will mail it to them. In the message (from
> adv.soft@applelink.apple.com) the writer says he will send me a demo
> version via applelink "and via some friends" - does anyone have this
> demo and can I FTP it from them? I don't (yet) have applelink access.
>
> ....r

We also sell a TCP/Tool for the CTB.  Both ours and theirs pretty much work, the last time we did timings, ours was a bit faster, and it is most definatly smaller.  But as I said they are both pretty servicable.  There is also a straight TCP/Tool that comes with MacX.  Does not allow telnet though.

I think that the Frnce company is working on or has a FTP tool, we are looking into doing the samething as well.  VersaTerm Pro is now shipping with a FTP tool and a telnet tool.

WRQ Reflections has CTB support in the latest version.

I don't know how you would go about getting a demo copy if you don't have access to AppleLink.  You might ask the French company to mail you one though.

Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products
703.709.9896 FAX               for the Macintosh.

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb8.161243.27988@cshl.org>, cozza@cshl.org (Steven Cozza at Grace Computer Center) writes:
> Does anybody know of a connection tool that does SLIP?  I have been looking
> for anything that would allow our users to connect their Macs at off-site
> locations running MacX, with on-site UNIX machines.  I tried TCP/Connect II
> but it doesn't come with a SLIP connection tool, and KA9Q but I can't
> figure out how to use it over a modem or if its even possible. So if anybody
> knows of a product or shareware package or even a possible alternative (PPP)
> I would appreciate any info.  Thanks.

Isn't this is little more complex than a CTB SLIP Tool? I mean, slip is
the IP layer over a serial line. The CTB SLIP Tool would need to be a
data stream (i.e., have TCP encapsulated in it) or would have to be
used by the TCP Tool used for this data stream (meaning a Connection
Tool talking through a Connection Tool?) or the Application Layer would
have to implement the TCP, otherwise the data stream would be
unreliable (i.e., not a guarenteed data stream like TCP) which is
the desired end result for things like SMTP and NNTP and the sort.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

cozza@cshl.org (Steven Cozza at Grace Computer Center) (02/09/91)

Does anybody know of a connection tool that does SLIP?  I have been looking
for anything that would allow our users to connect their Macs at off-site
locations running MacX, with on-site UNIX machines.  I tried TCP/Connect II
but it doesn't come with a SLIP connection tool, and KA9Q but I can't
figure out how to use it over a modem or if its even possible. So if anybody
knows of a product or shareware package or even a possible alternative (PPP)
I would appreciate any info.  Thanks.

Steven Cozza
Internet:	cozza@cshl.org
US Mail:	Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
		Bungtown Road
		Cold Spring Harbor
		New York, 11724

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (02/09/91)

They key problem here is that what everybody seems to actually want is
a SLIP module for MacTCP.  Unfortunately, current versions of MacTCP
evidently have some timing dependencies that make them unusuable over
slow links (like, say, a 2400 baud modem).  If, at some point, Apple
releases a newer version of MacTCP that can actually handle alternate
link layers well, I suspect that we will quickly see such modules for
SLIP, PPP, X.25, token ring, and any other kind of network hardware
that someone could cram into a Mac.

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

epan@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Eric C. Pan) (02/10/91)

	I am sorry, I looked into TCP/Connect II one week ago, and it had SLIP.
Perhaps you are thinking of the basic package, not the complete package, or the SLIP package.

cozza@cshl.org (Steven Cozza at Grace Computer Center) (02/11/91)

In article <10739@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> epan@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Eric C. Pan) writes:

>	I am sorry, I looked into TCP/Connect II one week ago, and it had SLIP.
>Perhaps you are thinking of the basic package, not the complete package, or
> the SLIP package.

Yes. TCP/Connect has a SLIP implementation, but it works only with those
protocols built into TCP/Connect like telnet, ftp, and netnews. Other programs
are unable to use the SLIP connection, because it's not designed for that.
I would hope that one day (soon) InterCon would come out with a true
SLIP driver like Ethertalk, that other programs could use.  I realize that
this is difficult to do, but I think that it is something needed by more
people than just myself. Also I'm not particular about SLIP, if PPP or some
other mechanism were available I would gladly use it.

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb10.223033.11785@cshl.org> cozza@cshl.org
(Steven Cozza at Grace Computer Center) writes:
>I would hope that one day (soon) InterCon would come out with a true
>SLIP driver like Ethertalk, that other programs could use.  I realize that
>this is difficult to do, but I think that it is something needed by more
>people than just myself.

Well, I can quite confidently say that InterCon feels this way too (at
least, they did when I worked for them :)), but they can't really fix
bugs in MacTCP, which is why they only have SLIP for their standalone
version.  There's a similar situation with SMNP--MacTCP won't let them
do a real implementation.

Bug Apple :).

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda
--
X Windows: It could be worse, but it'll take time...

eer36024@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Erik Reuter) (02/12/91)

There seem to be a lot of people interested in getting a MacTCP/SLIP driver
going (I am one of them). However, there don't seem to be any people
interested in writing such a thing. (I mean, writing a separate program
that appears like MacTCP, but supports SLIP, since it is apparently not
possible at this time to write a SLIP module for MacTCP itself).

Therefore, a question: how difficult would it be to hack together a
MacTCP/SLIP from the source code to the SLIP modified version of NCSA Telnet?
(Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I know little about UNIX
programming and protocols, heck, I can't even program very well on my Mac!).
Shouldn't most of the needed code for TCP and SLIP be already written in
Telnet? Anyone up to the task?

Just wondering.

--
Erik Reuter, e-reuter@uiuc.edu, uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!e-reuter, 217-367-1721

gavin@ramsay.UUCP (Gavin Eadie) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.182843.13618@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, eer36024@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Erik Reuter) writes:
> There seem to be a lot of people interested in getting a MacTCP/SLIP driver
> going (I am one of them). However, there don't seem to be any people
> interested in writing such a thing. (I mean, writing a separate program
> that appears like MacTCP, but supports SLIP, since it is apparently not
> possible at this time to write a SLIP module for MacTCP itself).

		In fact MacTCP does support a mechanism for SLIP to work. The problem
		is that it was not engineered for slow links.  This causes a problem
		with SLIP because packets requesting an internet address are fired off
		by MacTCP faster than a 9600 bps line can get rid of the bits ...

		Note that a less popular variation on SLIP (called SLFP, developed at
		MIT) doesn't poll for an internet address and so works fine over 2400
		bps links using MacTCP.  I can you from personal experience that IP
		at 2400 bps is more painful than most people could cope with ...

> Therefore, a question: how difficult would it be to hack together a
> MacTCP/SLIP from the source code to the SLIP modified version of NCSA Telnet?

		Apple, in the form of the MacTCP engineer at least, is aware of the
		need for alternate LAPs and of the deficiency in the current one. MacTCP
		is being enhanced, even as we speak, for System 7.0 compatibility and
		to improve various other characteristics and capabilities.  You might
		reasonably suppose that an enhancement in the IP/LAP interface is also
		in the works.

		As a result of this, presumed, improvement to MacTCP being available
		in the same general timeframe as System 7.0, I think it reasonable to
		also presume solutions to the SLIP and PPP dilemmas to be available
		shortly thereafter.

Gavin Eadie                                        Ramsay Consulting
                                                   507 Second Street
(313) 665-2819                                   Ann Arbor, MI 48103

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.182843.13618@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
eer36024@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Erik Reuter) writes:
>Therefore, a question: how difficult would it be to hack together a
>MacTCP/SLIP from the source code to the SLIP modified version of NCSA Telnet?

Oh, I'd say 6-10 months worth of work, for someone who (a) worked on
it full time, and (b) already deeply understood MacTCP and the NCSA
TCP/IP code.  This doesn't include beta testing time.  The biggest problems
are that the APIs for MacTCP and the NCSA TCP/IP kernel are not very much
alike, and that MacTCP needs to do its timing and TCP processing at
interrupt time, rather than at GetNextEvent time like the NCSA code.

This is just a guess off the top of my head, as someone who does know
both MacTCP and the NCSA code quite well.

It's certainly possible, but I doubt it would be worth doing unless a
company or university paid for the development time.  There's also the
chance that Apple will fix MacTCP in the meantime, thus allowing someone
else to do a SLIP module for it in a month or so.  Quite a gamble.

What might (and I stress *might*) be easier is to build a giant CTB
connection tool for SLIP that itself used the NCSA code.  This is in
some senses a smaller problem, but still not a project to sneeze at,
if only because the existing MacX TCP connection tool is completely
undocumented.  This could make its behavior hard to duplicate.

Bugging Apple is probably a more worthwhile use of your time and effort :).
--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda
--
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before."
		--Dwight D. Eisenhower

time@ice.com (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.182843.13618@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, eer36024@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Erik Reuter) writes:
> Therefore, a question: how difficult would it be to hack together a
> MacTCP/SLIP from the source code to the SLIP modified version of NCSA Telnet?
> (Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I know little about UNIX
> programming and protocols, heck, I can't even program very well on my Mac!).
> Shouldn't most of the needed code for TCP and SLIP be already written in
> Telnet? Anyone up to the task?

AND If this gets done PLEASE make it a CTB Tool (feasible?).

In article <1CE00001.eyqs2e@tbomb.ice.com>, tbomb!time (Tim Endres) writes:

> In article <1991Feb11.182843.13618@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, eer36024@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Erik Reuter) writes:
> > Therefore, a question: how difficult would it be to hack together a
> > MacTCP/SLIP from the source code to the SLIP modified version of NCSA Telnet?
>
> AND If this gets done PLEASE make it a CTB Tool (feasible?).
>
> tim.

		Ideally, the CTB Tool would be at the other end of the protocol
		stack -- there are two Telnet tools that I know of that can be
		used as TCP connection tools (TCPack and VersaTerm) and a third
		(comes with MacX) which is only a TCP tool.

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb8.161243.27988@cshl.org>, cozza@cshl.org (Steven Cozza at Grace Computer Center) writes:
> I tried TCP/Connect II
> but it doesn't come with a SLIP connection tool, and KA9Q but I can't
> figure out how to use it over a modem or if its even possible.

Excuse me?  Our package comes with SLIP built into it.  We don't have a SLIP tool yet, we do have a TCP Tool that we sell seperatly.  What are you trying to do with SLIP anyway?  Give tech support here a call and they can help you out.

In article <1991Feb10.223033.11785@cshl.org>, cozza@cshl.org (Steven Cozza at Grace Computer Center) writes:
> I would hope that one day (soon) InterCon would come out with a true
> SLIP driver like Ethertalk, that other programs could use.  I realize that

Argh!  It's not so much us, as it is Apple at this point.  But rest assured all
parties are working at getting this taken care of.  Sigh.  Sometimes the wheel
just doesn't turn fast enough.