[comp.sys.mac.comm] TelNet

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (02/13/91)

I have a problem with TelNet that is causing
me great concern.  Maybe you can help.

Specifics - IIci, 8 meg, 6.0.5.

Inits - (NOTE: I removed all the inits during testing)
	TOPS, MS Mail, PopChar, Shiva Config, ATM, Capture,
	On Cue, SuitCaseII, Type Reunion, Disinfectant,
	Responder, Netstream, Public Folder.

TelNet - Problem occurs with either of the two MacTCP versions
	 TelNet.2.3.MacTCP or TelNet.2.3.2.BYU.MacTCP.  MacTCP
	 version 1.0.1.  NOTE - Non-MacTCP TelNet works fine if
	 I remove MacTCP and reboot.  I need to use MacTCP as
	 I have several other TCP related applications that
	 require it.

Problem - As soon as TelNet begins to come up, immediately
	  after the opening logo screen, TelNet dies, i.e.
	  no menus, no errors, no bombs, just back to the
  	  finder.  Graceful but not very useful.

Recent changes - I upgraded to 6.0.7 recently and then
	degraded to 6.0.5.  Is it OK to degrade?
	Also I tried using Max-Apple-Zoom
        with little luck.

I have tried, not necessarily in this order;

1) Re-install the system.
2) Rebuild the desktop.
3) Zap the PRAM.
4) Removing all the inits.
5) Boot from a floppy.
6) Reload Telnet, config.tel, MacTCP from known good source.
7) Throw away the system and re-install.
8) Upgrade (again) to 6.0.7.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

bell@pyro.ei.dupont.com (Mike Bell) (02/13/91)

In article <5804@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>I have a problem with TelNet that is causing
>me great concern.  Maybe you can help.
>
>Specifics - IIci, 8 meg, 6.0.5.
>
>Inits - (NOTE: I removed all the inits during testing)
>	TOPS, MS Mail, PopChar, Shiva Config, ATM, Capture,
>	On Cue, SuitCaseII, Type Reunion, Disinfectant,
>	Responder, Netstream, Public Folder.
>
>TelNet - Problem occurs with either of the two MacTCP versions
>	 TelNet.2.3.MacTCP or TelNet.2.3.2.BYU.MacTCP.  MacTCP
>	 version 1.0.1.  NOTE - Non-MacTCP TelNet works fine if
>	 I remove MacTCP and reboot.  I need to use MacTCP as
>	 I have several other TCP related applications that
>	 require it.
>
>Problem - As soon as TelNet begins to come up, immediately
>	  after the opening logo screen, TelNet dies, i.e.
>	  no menus, no errors, no bombs, just back to the
>  	  finder.  Graceful but not very useful.
>
>Recent changes - I upgraded to 6.0.7 recently and then
>	degraded to 6.0.5.  Is it OK to degrade?
>	Also I tried using Max-Apple-Zoom
>        with little luck.
>
>I have tried, not necessarily in this order;
>
>1) Re-install the system.
>2) Rebuild the desktop.
>3) Zap the PRAM.
>4) Removing all the inits.
>5) Boot from a floppy.
>6) Reload Telnet, config.tel, MacTCP from known good source.
>7) Throw away the system and re-install.
>8) Upgrade (again) to 6.0.7.
>--
>=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
>= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =
>= Applelink: N1111                                                         =
>=I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =

  Usually it means that there is an IP number conflict, and Telnet cant open
the driver. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you that; it just quits.

  This is my experience with an older version; I use TCP/Connect from Intercon
now, and have't bothered to get the latest NCSA version in a while.

		Mike

Mike Bell                                Internet: bell@opus.wizards.dupont.com
Senior Engineer                          CSNet: BELLMA%ESVAX@dupont.com
DuPont CR&D  				 Applelink: D2747
Advanced Computer Technology Group

    MacBLITZ..... When you feel the need for speed..........

eljazzar@utkux1.utk.edu (Mohamad El Jazzar) (02/14/91)

In article <5804@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>I have a problem with TelNet that is causing
>me great concern.  Maybe you can help.

[ ... ]

>Problem - As soon as TelNet begins to come up, immediately
>	  after the opening logo screen, TelNet dies, i.e.
>	  no menus, no errors, no bombs, just back to the
>  	  finder.  Graceful but not very useful.

  [ ... ]

>I have tried, not necessarily in this order;
>
>1) Re-install the system.
>2) Rebuild the desktop.
>3) Zap the PRAM.
>4) Removing all the inits.
>5) Boot from a floppy.
>6) Reload Telnet, config.tel, MacTCP from known good source.
>7) Throw away the system and re-install.
>8) Upgrade (again) to 6.0.7.
>--

When switching between the MacTCP and non-MacTCP versions, delete the NCSA
Telnet preferences file from the System Folder and restart Telnet.  This has
been my experience in the past..

Mohamad El Jazzar
eljazzar@utkux1.utk.edu