[comp.sys.mac.comm] comms problem, error code=-17

paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) (02/15/91)

I have been getting a comms problem on my MacPlus. I get a -17 error when I
start up some of my modem comms software, eg Red Ryder etc. plus I also get
the same problem with MacMinix.

What does -17 indicate? All I can find in the documentation is "control error"!

MacMinix gets this problem after a PBControl call, as follows:
if((err = PBControl(&pb, 0)) != 0)
   printf("error %d setting line parameters on serial line %d\n",err,rs->minor);

Actually the code read:
if((err = PBControl(&pb, 0)) != 0)
   printf("error %d setting line parameters on serial line %d\n",rs->minor);
but I amended it to find out what the actual error code was :-)

--
Paul Wood       | UUCP Mail:  paul@ukpoit.co.uk   | iT: The Information
iT (Unix Group) | Bang-Style: ...!ukc!ukpoit!paul |     Technology Business of

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (02/18/91)

paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) writes:

>What does -17 indicate? All I can find in the documentation is "control error"!

>MacMinix gets this problem after a PBControl call, as follows:
>if((err = PBControl(&pb, 0)) != 0)
>  printf("error %d setting line parameters on serial line %d\n",err,rs->minor);

Device Drivers 101. PBControl sends a block of memory (pb in this case) to
the device driver in question. In this block of memory (called, suprisingly
enough, a control block) is a field called csCode, which tells the driver
what action it is supposed to perform on this block of memory. csCode is
a word at byte offset 26. The error -17 indicates that the driver does
not recognize the csCode being set to it. More often than not, that means
that whatever is calling this device driver (MacMinix in this case) is
depending on a different version of the device driver (I assume the serial
driver in this case) than the one that actually exists. You might want
to see what the value of csCode is and check it against the codes that
the serial driver expects to see. You may find that an old version of the
driver didn't use a certain code, whereas a newer version does.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

rt2@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Rens Troost) (02/18/91)

Error # -17 is, apparently, an unimplemented control code to the serial
driver. If you could supply the contents of the parameter block that is
being passed, perhaps we could pinpoint the problem.

-What system version are you using?
-Do _all_ serial communications attempts do this to you?

-Rens

paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb18.125508.6277@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> rt2@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Rens Troost) writes:
>Error # -17 is, apparently, an unimplemented control code to the serial
>driver. If you could supply the contents of the parameter block that is
>being passed, perhaps we could pinpoint the problem.
csCode = 8
Does this help? What other fields would be of use?

>-What system version are you using?
Finder B1-6.1.4
System B1-6.0.4

>-Do _all_ serial communications attempts do this to you?
No, only occasionally do I get the error, nor is it easily repeatable.
When I start up MacMinix, but do not login, I will get half a dozen error
messages in a couple of hours.

BTW, I am still getting occasional system bombs while running MacMinix. What
is the situation with other MacMinix users? For me this happens about twice
per week.

paul@ukpoit.co.uk                                Paul Wood, 31 Buttermere Drive,
                                                 Dronfield Woodhouse, Sheffield,
                                                 England, S18 5PX.