[comp.sys.mac.comm] PC Pursuit

waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) (02/19/91)

The other night I was calling around to various bulletin boards around the
U.S. and upon completing one of the validation scripts I was asked what method
I was using to call in.  The choices given were the following:

   1.  Local Call
   2.  Standard Long Distance
   3.  PC Pursuit

I, of course, responded with option 2.  After doing so, I got some messages
describing what PC Pursuit was.  It seems to be some sort of service provided
to PC modem users.  The message indicated that for the low cost of $25/month
one could make unlimited long distance calls from PC to PC in the continental
U.S.

That's about all it said.  Has anyone heard of such a service???  Sounds to
good to be true.

Please help!  If there is sufficient interest I will summarize my findings
to the net.
--
Timothy A. Waire, Jr. (Whitegold)           Executive Office of the President
INTERNET: waire@seas.gwu.edu                Office of Management & Budget

bskendig@shine.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (02/19/91)

In article <2752@sparko.gwu.edu> waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) writes:
>...  After doing so, I got some messages
>describing what PC Pursuit was.  It seems to be some sort of service provided
>to PC modem users.  The message indicated that for the low cost of $25/month
>one could make unlimited long distance calls from PC to PC in the continental
>U.S.
>
>That's about all it said.  Has anyone heard of such a service???  Sounds to
>good to be true.

Geez, I haven't seen mention of PC Pursuit for years!  ;)

Anyway, to provide a little more information on it: I _believe_ that
Pc Pursuit is also known as `Telenet' (note the `e'; it's not
`telnet').  I seem to recall that, for a $25 startup fee plus $25 per
month, you were given access to their system.

Here's how it worked: You would call a local number, and log in to a
Telenet node nearby.  Then you would tell that node to connect to any
other node anywhere on the continent, and tell the remote node to then
make a local call.  Two local calls are cheap; you'd be going most of
the way through the Telenet cross-country cabling.

I don't know what restrictions or caveats apply, or indeed if this
information is correct at all!  Caveat lector.

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't have the work to *do* -- I don't do the work I *have*."

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (02/21/91)

waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) writes:

> [...]
> I, of course, responded with option 2.  After doing so, I got some messages
> describing what PC Pursuit was.  It seems to be some sort of service provided
> to PC modem users.  The message indicated that for the low cost of $25/month
> one could make unlimited long distance calls from PC to PC in the continental
> U.S.
> [...]

The information you were given is no longer current. PC Pursuit's pricing
structure has changed to 30 hrs for $30 dollars and then $2.50 an hour
(non-primetime) thereafter.

If you're interested, I would recommend calling them at +1 800 TELENET.
They'll answer all your questions for you.

John

--
John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Software Visionary        UUCP: ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta