[comp.sys.mac.comm] Help with EtherTalk

laf@mbunix.mitre.org (Lee Fyock) (02/14/91)

After finally receiving my ethernet card the other day, I installed
it, the EtherTalk (2.0.1) driver and changed my IP address in AdminTCP.
I had been using MacTCP through a Gatorbox, but now I'm ethernetted to
the same subnet that the Gatorbox is on.

I don't have access to any LocalTalk services (public folder, appleshare)
when the EtherTalk icon is selected in the Network cdev (the chooser doesn't
show any zones).  I read the manual (don't tell anyone :-), which says that "If
internet routers are present on your network and you have not previously
selected
a zone in which your Macintosh II can reside, you will be asked to choose an
AppleTalk zone at this time (if your network has been set up to allow you to
choose one)."  I've never been asked what zone I want to be in.

What am I missing?

System:  Mac IIci, 20M RAM, 80M internal HD, cache card, ethernet card,
6.0.7+inits.

Thanks for any info,
Lee Fyock
laf@mitre.org

P.S. Is there any fix for the bug that occurs when you type "out" or "logout"
too quickly and the t kind of jams on the ci?

laf@mbunix.mitre.org (Lee Fyock) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb14.135756.13819@linus.mitre.org> I wrote:
>I don't have access to any LocalTalk services (public folder, appleshare)
>when the EtherTalk icon is selected in the Network cdev (the chooser doesn't
>show any zones).

After playing around for quite a while with both the Gatorbox and
the different EtherTalk drivers, I finally hit upon a combination that
gives me both MacTCP access and LocalTalk access.  The only problem
left is that the zone I "live in" isn't the one I want.  When I pull
up the chooser, I'm in the zone that used to be in the "Phase I EtherTalk"
zone box in Gatorkeeper.  I've changed it, restarted the Gatorbox, copied
over the config files to all of the box's download sites, etc., to no
avail.  This isn't crucial, but it's annoying to have others try to find
my public folder in a different zone than the one I should be in.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the mail and help!
Lee Fyock
laf@mitre.org

P.S.  LeeMail (a MacTCP-based SMTP mailer for the mac)
is currently 2nd in the archive queue at sumex, so it should
be available tomorrow.

klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) (02/23/91)

laf@mbunix.mitre.org (Lee Fyock) writes:

>In article <1991Feb14.135756.13819@linus.mitre.org> I wrote:
>>I don't have access to any LocalTalk services (public folder, appleshare)
>>when the EtherTalk icon is selected in the Network cdev (the chooser doesn't
>>show any zones).

We've found that the EtherTalk icon only needs to be selected at startup,
after which you can select the Built-in for LocalTalk access.
It's a pain to remember to re-select EtherTalk before shutting down
or restarting, but we're working on that.
--
-- Sue
Sue Klefstad    Ill. Natural History Survey    klefstad@uiuc.edu