[comp.sys.mac.comm] Networking MAC drives

tankus@hsi86.hsi.com (Ed Tankus) (02/21/91)

I'm thinking about purchasing a 180Meg SCSI drive to be shared among
4 macs via AppleShare.  I would like to then mount this drive FROM
a VAX running 4.3 BSD so the Mac files can accessed directly and the
drive backed up to tape or Exabyte.  The macs are currently connected
to a Kinetics Fastpath bridge via AppleTalk then to the VAX.

Getting Ethernet cards for each Mac and another disk for our VAX is
cost prohibitive at this time.

BTW, this my first experience with networking Macs so if my question(s)
is/are somewhat ignorant then please be kind.
--

"For every word, there is a song upon which inspiration lies ...".
Ed Tankus.   {uunet,yale}!hsi!tankus -- OR -- tankus@hsi.com

mha@memory.UUCP (Mark H. Anbinder) (02/24/91)

Subject:   RE> Networking MAC drives             QuickMail Reply

In article <3132@hsi86.hsi.com>, tankus@hsi86.hsi.com (Ed Tankus) wonders:
> I'm thinking about purchasing a 180Meg SCSI drive to be shared among
> 4 macs via AppleShare. I would like to then mount this drive FROM a
> VAX running 4.3 BSD so the Mac files can accessed directly and the
> drive backed up to tape or Exabyte.

I suspect it would be far easier, and less expensive, to get a large additional
hard drive for the VAX, mount it using NFS, and take advantage of the
FastPath's ability (which I'm pretty sure it has) to convert NFS packets to and
from AFP (Apple Filing Protocol, used for AppleShare) packets.  That way the
drive would already be ON the VAX, and would be easily backed up, and it could
be readily mounted on the Macintosh side as if it were just any old AppleShare
volume.

If the FastPath isn't one of the devices that offers NFS <> AFP conversion,
then I am fairly sure there are software alternatives that would not be overly
expensive... I just wouldn't know where to find them. :-)

--
Mark H. Anbinder                   mha@memory.uucp
1063 Warren Road #6                607-257-3480

Angus.Fox@uk.sun.com (Angus Fox - Sun EHQ - Sitka) (02/26/91)

In article <52-890-00002.2750252211.33@memory.UUCP> mha@memory.UUCP (Mark
H. Anbinder) writes:
> If the FastPath isn't one of the devices that offers NFS <> AFP
>conversion, then I am fairly sure there are software alternatives
>that would not be overly expensive...

Shiva/Kinetics FastPath does not give NFS >AFP.

For that you need a Cayman Systems GatorBox.

If you are a FastPath diehard then you could use SunTOPS to publish an
NFS mount point to a TOPS network :-)

Angus Fox
Sun Microsystems Europe - Sitka
Internet:Angus.Fox@uk.sun.com
AppleLink:SITKAEUROPE
Phone +44 276 51440

Disclaimers are for insurance companies

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (02/27/91)

Anbinder) writes:
> If the FastPath isn't one of the devices that offers NFS <> AFP conversion,
> then I am fairly sure there are software alternatives that would not be overly
> expensive... I just wouldn't know where to find them. :-)

What you are talking about is a GatorBox.  But you can also use the FastPath
with our NFS/Share software to do much of what you want.  We do not do AFP to
NFS conversion, rather we do straight NFS across the board (or Kbox :-)).

I would have to agree, I don't know of anything that allows a Vax to read a Mac
disk in the manner you wish.  I think that adding 3rd party HD's to the Vax has
got to be a better long term solution as well.  Good luck.

Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products
703.709.9896 FAX               for the Macintosh.