[comp.sys.mac.comm] MacX and SystemV

davidp@ecgcurly.UUCP (David Patten) (02/26/91)

I am currently evaluating MacX 1.1 and have encountered a problem.
If I am logged into a host machine by other means I can set the
DISPLAY variable to point at my Mac and invoking a client, such as
xterm, will cause its window to appear on my Mac if MacX is already
running. However if I try and invoke the client directly from the
Mac using the remote command facility I get the following message:

	The remote command "test" could not be
	executed via the tool "MacTCP Tool". Creation of
	the remote command stream failed.

	The connection came up halfway and then failed.

The UNIX host is a System V machine. I do not get this error when
trying to connect to a BSD host. Further investigation seems to
indicate that MacX uses the rexec daemon, which is a BSD command
and is not present on our System V machines. I have searched the
manual and can find no reference to this part of MacX's operation.
I have 2 questions -

Am I correct that MacX is trying to use the rexec daemon?
Is there any work around for System V machines?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please send responses to
davidp@mot.com

Thanks,
David Patten
Motorola Cellular Subscriber
Arlington Hts, IL
"All opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer"

bell@pyro.ei.dupont.com (Mike Bell) (02/27/91)

In article <677@ecgcurly.UUCP> davidp@ecgcurly.UUCP (David Patten) writes:
>I am currently evaluating MacX 1.1 and have encountered a problem.
>If I am logged into a host machine by other means I can set the
>DISPLAY variable to point at my Mac and invoking a client, such as
>xterm, will cause its window to appear on my Mac if MacX is already
>running. However if I try and invoke the client directly from the
>Mac using the remote command facility I get the following message:
>
>	The remote command "test" could not be
>	executed via the tool "MacTCP Tool". Creation of
>	the remote command stream failed.
>
>	The connection came up halfway and then failed.
>
>The UNIX host is a System V machine. I do not get this error when
>trying to connect to a BSD host. Further investigation seems to
>indicate that MacX uses the rexec daemon, which is a BSD command
>and is not present on our System V machines. I have searched the
>manual and can find no reference to this part of MacX's operation.
>I have 2 questions -
>
>Am I correct that MacX is trying to use the rexec daemon?
>Is there any work around for System V machines?
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please send responses to
>davidp@mot.com
>
>Thanks,
>David Patten
>Motorola Cellular Subscriber
>Arlington Hts, IL
>"All opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer"

    Yes, MacX is trying to use the rexecd to launch the programs. I had the
same problem with a systemV machine about a year ago, andthe final solution
was to port the rexecd from the BSD sources. I think that rexecd also requires
inetd, so you may have to port that as well......

		Mike

Mike Bell                                Internet: bell@opus.wizards.dupont.com
Senior Engineer                          CSNet: BELLMA%ESVAX@dupont.com
DuPont CR&D  				 Applelink: D2747
Advanced Computer Technology Group

"We're in the Computer Business......we sell connectors !!

				-- C. S.