[comp.sys.mac.comm] MNP5 - What's the advantage ?

gousha@monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (Charles Gousha) (02/21/91)

In article <6921@harrier.ukc.ac.uk> jcd2@ukc.ac.uk (J.C.Doig) writes:
>What exactly (in terms of throughput) is the advantage of an MNP5 modem ?
>Specifically, does the increase in price between a normal 2400 baud and a
>2400 MNP5 modem justify the increase in speed/reliability ?
>
>Jeremy Doig

as long as you're talking to another MNP-class modem, you will get
increased reliability.  MNP is an error correcting protocol, and thus,
will catch stray errors caused by noisy connections, et al.  If you're
talking with another MNP5 modem, you will also get data compression,
which will, in most cases, at least double your throughput.  At least
this is what I am experiencing with my modem.

Generally, I am pleased with MNP, and am glad I made the decision to
purchase one.

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (02/24/91)

In article <6921@harrier.ukc.ac.uk> jcd2@ukc.ac.uk (J.C.Doig) writes:
>What exactly (in terms of throughput) is the advantage of an MNP5 modem ?
>Specifically, does the increase in price between a normal 2400 baud and a
>2400 MNP5 modem justify the increase in speed/reliability ?

Modem mfr's claim 100% improvement (480cps over a 2400bps line).

MNP5 (or 4) totally eliminates line noise, too.

Spend the extra bucks.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

piper@s5000.rsvl.unisys.com (Piper Keairnes) (02/27/91)

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:

>MNP5 (or 4) totally eliminates line noise, too.

Which helps in preventing hang-ups due to line noise, something that I
hate about long-distance calling.

--
Piper Keairnes         * piper@s5000.rsvl.unisys.com        * Purdue Univ.
Unisys Corporation     * uunet!s5000.rsvl.unisys.com!piper  * Computing Center