[comp.sys.mac.comm] How to hide a LaserWriter on AppleTalk ?

ccwenker@cnedcu51.bitnet (Laurent Wenker) (02/27/91)

I read in the help of ADMIN/MSA, that your can use the qualifier /HIDDEN
with ADD PRINTER to hide a LaserWriter on the AppleTalk network, so that only
VAXShare can use it. But this qualifier is not documented in the doc, and...
it does not work !

Has someone an idea for hidding a LaserWriter on AppleTalk, so that user
obliged to use VAXShare. By this way, I can do an accounting of printed
pages.

BTW, we've solved the problem of accounting with VAXShare Print Service on a
LPS (Digital PostScript Printer) and with a LaserWriter if you can answer to
this question.

Laurent Wenker
Unversity of Neuchatel, Switzerland
E-mail : wenker@dcal.unine.ch
    or : ccwenker@cnedcu51.bitnet

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.181949.122@cnedcu51.bitnet> ccwenker@cnedcu51.bitnet (Laurent Wenker) writes:
>I read in the help of ADMIN/MSA, that your can use the qualifier /HIDDEN
>with ADD PRINTER to hide a LaserWriter on the AppleTalk network, so that only
>VAXShare can use it. But this qualifier is not documented in the doc, and...
>it does not work !
>
>Has someone an idea for hidding a LaserWriter on AppleTalk, so that user
>obliged to use VAXShare. By this way, I can do an accounting of printed
>pages.
>
>BTW, we've solved the problem of accounting with VAXShare Print Service on a
>LPS (Digital PostScript Printer) and with a LaserWriter if you can answer to
>this question.

With GatorBox you can also do the hiding pretty easily. And then there
is a one software solution called lwlockout. I haven't tried that last
one mentioned but we use now the former.

--
== Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland ===========================
P.O. Box 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland (tel:+358 61 248426 fax:+358 61 248465)

rpcfod@uarthur.UUCP (Robert Patt-Corner) (02/28/91)

> Has someone an idea for hidding a LaserWriter on AppleTalk, so that user
> obliged to use VAXShare. By this way, I can do an accounting of printed
> pages.

The program:

LaserwriterLockout comes from
Maurice Volaski
Internet: volaski@contra.med.buffalo.edu
Mail: 173 Princeton Ave. Apt #2, Amherst, NY 14226-5006

should do the job.  Available I think CI$ and/or GEnie.  I'll mail you
a copy -- is freeware.  Might be of general UU interest tho.  I tried it, but briefly.  Seemed OK.  Hides laserwriters in Chooser.