[comp.sys.mac.comm] MacTCP

kt@msor.UUCP (Keith Tizzard) (06/28/90)

I see many refences to MacTCP but am not very clear about what it offers.

I have a Mac IIci connected to Ethernet over which I can access other
Macs, PCs and Suns by means of TOPS.  Telnet offers me terminal access to
the Sun.

Would MacTCP be of help to me?  What extra facilities would I then enjoy?

--
Keith Tizzard
MSOR Dept, University of Exeter, Streatham Court, EXETER EX4 4PU, UK

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (06/30/90)

In article <680@msor0.UUCP>, kt@msor.UUCP (Keith Tizzard) writes:

> I see many refences to MacTCP but am not very clear about what it offers.
>
> I have a Mac IIci connected to Ethernet over which I can access other
> Macs, PCs and Suns by means of TOPS.  Telnet offers me terminal access to
> the Sun.
>
> Would MacTCP be of help to me?  What extra facilities would I then enjoy?

MacTCP is of use in the following situations (there may be more, but these
are the ones that I can think of).

1. When you need to use more than one TCP/IP program at the sametime.  Such
as a database program doing calls over TCP/IP and running telnet at the sametime.

2. When you have a burning desire to be using the TCP that Apple's supports.

If you are currently running telnet and TOPS and are having no problems you
(IMHO) have nothing to really gain. (why fix something that isn't broken)

--
Kurt Baumann
703.709.9890

escher@Apple.COM (Michael Crawford) (06/30/90)

In article <680@msor0.UUCP> kt@msor.UUCP (Keith Tizzard) writes:

>I see many refences to MacTCP but am not very clear about what it offers.
>Would MacTCP be of help to me?  What extra facilities would I then enjoy?

Disclaimer: I am consulting for Apple Computer.  I will try to keep
this to the point.

MacTCP is a TCP and UDP driver, that is configurable via the control
panel.  It provides network services that can be shared between many
applications simultaneously, and allows the use of ethernet, or
appletalk (DDP) encapsulation with ethertalk or localtalk.  The
DDP encapsulation requires the use of a DDP/IP gateway, such as the
Cayman Gatorbox, or Shiva Fastpath (formerly kinetics) to communicate
with normal ip/ethernet hosts (one would use DDP Ethertalk to get
packets through an appletalk-only router; if you don't have to do
this, MacTCP can place IP packets directly on the ethernet).

It is described well in the current APDALog; also, you can call Rita
Domanico at (408) 974-0404 and ask for the MacTCP information kit.

MacTCP provides a programmatic interface, and a control panel; one still
needs to obtain applications.

There are several ways to obtain it:

Purchase a commercial application that provides MacTCP.  There are
a number of these; I believe Intercon's TCPConnect does (am I right,
Amanda?)

Purchase an evaluation copy from APDA.

Site license it for internal use from ADPA.  This is a very
good deal for any site with a number of Macintoshes, such as
a University.  If you are at a University, or large company, check to
see if it is already site licensed.  I often see queries like yours
from people at sites that already have it!

License it for distribution with your product.

The prices are in the current APDALog.

You will also need applications.  There are a few dozen I think; you
can buy them, or get them via anonymous FTP, from places such as
zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu (ncsa telnet; get the MacTCP version), and
sumex-aim.stanford.edu (hyperFTP).

I am not up on what applications are out there; but you can get a lot
more than just telnet service.
--
Michael D. Crawford
Oddball Enterprises		Consulting for Apple Computer Inc.

		alias make '/bin/make & rn'

marmoset@ub.cc.umich.edu (Dave Walker) (07/01/90)

In article <8929@goofy.Apple.COM> escher@Apple.COM (Michael Crawford)
writes:
> I am not up on what applications are out there; but you can get a lot
> more than just telnet service.

...such as this wondeful NetNews reader program I'm using right now.
Thanks Harry Chesley!

| Dave Walker, Marmoset Pty. Ltd.                                        |
| marmoset@ub.cc.umich.edu                 "I don't read, I just guess"  |
| marmoset@mondo.engin.umich.edu       -Happy Mondays, "Wrote For Luck"  |
| Since I *am* Marmoset Pty. Ltd., they usually agree with what I say... |

haase@meevax.meediv.lanl.gov (HAASE_PETER_K) (02/28/91)

Does anyone out there know what the latest version of MacTCP is??????

      Peter K. Haase				haase@meediv.lanl.gov
			(505) 667-2684
                Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL)

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (02/28/91)

haase@meevax.meediv.lanl.gov (HAASE_PETER_K) writes:

>Does anyone out there know what the latest version of MacTCP is??????

Yes. 1.0.1 for normal people, 1.0.2 for MacX only.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC